Okay, I'm a believer

Page 2 of 2
No. Trade the Craftsman in on a PC.

;~)
I was just yankin his chain...

Just after I hit send, it occurred to me. This is Leon, he knows better. I've been trolled. Good catch. Want your hook back? :)

ROTFLMAO......
No... you earned it ..go ahead and keep it... ;~)

No, I would not avoid PC, just that, as I was once kindly reminded here: this is REC woodworking, and I am trying to bring REALITY to the certain faction of this Spenders Group that seems to look down on certain brands of tools. It's not the tools, girls, IT'S YOU who are making the mistakes. Mistakes are OK. Make a lot of them, I mean it. Because of them, you will develop methods and shortcuts and intimacy with your own tools that cannot be rectified by spending I don't care how much money on anything. Do more. Do it a hundred times. You Will Find The Way To Do It On The Stuff You Already Own.
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man I can't count the number of threads on this board where if you don't buy JET, DELTA or others, you are buying JUNK.
Some people here have more money than common sense or SKILL! And if that offends you, you likely fall into one of these two categories.
The idea behind this board should be to HELP others. And help others with what they HAVE and don't knock them because they didn't spend $2k for a saw and fence.
This board has got to be the worst for that. One good thing about when I had my Ryobi Saw was the Ryobi tools forum. You should see what some of these WOODWORKERS have made with, what most people here think is, an underpowered or hobby saw. If they can do it with a $279.00 saw just imagine what they could do with the tools that the "Pros" here have?!?!?
And for God's sakes, if you HAVE NOT USED THE TOOL, don't say it's junk. If you have NO experience using it....SAY SO!!!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RM MS) wrote in message

Yeah... some people believe the Incra fence is the greatest...
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says... ... snip of generally insulting tripe

You're right, I figured out that the way to get my Craftsman pad sander to actually remove wood was to unplug it and use it as a manual sanding pad. Problem was, the weight of the useless motor used more of my energy than simply using a block of wood for the same purpose and to the same effect.
Bottom line, some of us are not zealots, but have been burned by tools that just absolutely do not work for the function for which they are sold. When we have found that, we try to share that information with others so that they don't waste their money as we did. Note, there is absolutely nothing, zip, zilch, nada, that I could have done that would have made that C*man sander perform for the purpose for which it was sold. It was not my technique, it was not my ability, it was the fact that this vibrating piece of screaming crap was not designed to perform its function. Not only did this piece of crap not work, I was convinced by my experience with it that electric sanders were pretty much worthless and was resigned to hand sanding all of my projects. It wasn't until my wife insisted that I get something to speed things along on a project that was important to our household (i.e. finishing the nursery) that I tried a PC 333 ROS. What a difference! This sander actually took off wood!
Had the same experience with a Sears Jig Saw, it tried to vibrate and scream the wood apart -- regardless of the blades I bought for it. OTOH, the Sears electric drill I have has performed for almost 20 years, the only complaint I have about it is that the chuck doesn't engage very well with the chuck key -- but that is a problem that can be worked around.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Vibrating piece of screaming crap... I just want you to know that that one made me blow a cracker out my nose. It hurts.
I'd much rather use two wrences. I'd much rater hold on to another wrench than try to hold the body of the router.

Can't handle 2 wrenches? Please, Chris (and I am going to call you a name you are quite probably very accustomed to hearing) Dude: Ever hear of a "spindle lock"?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RM MS) wrote in message

Er,.. Bob? I think that *is* his complaint - the PC doesn't have a spindle lock.
I happen to have both the aformentioned Craftsman router AND an old Rockwell router (same as the PC). I love the Rockwell EXCEPT for the fact that it doesn't have a spindle lock. I was able to purchase a 1/2" collet for it - something I COULDN'T do for my Craftsman.
-Chris
No,it is not right. The ID of that collet should be no more than .0005 larger than the shank of the bit. If the variation is much more than that, gripping power is compromised. If it was made correctly, it's movement when tightening would be so slight it would be impossible to bend it. It was made wrong.
Wrote message

<SNIP>

This is what I did when my 4 year old Craftsman router starting dropping bits into my wood. They gave me about ~$30 credit toward a PC, which has *never* had this problem.

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 6:35pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@timsimmons.com (TimSimmons) says: <snip> Well, maybe yours is different? I don't know. <snip> I forgot to mention, if you're not pure at heart, this won't work. LMAO
Alternately, if you're behind on your sacrifices to the Woodworking Gods, it won't work either. Rule One: No sacrifices at home, as High Priest of the Woodworking Gods, all sacrifices, and the resultant paperwork, are handled by me. Rule Two: Send lots of stuff.
JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Collet is abused and now tapered. Does not squeeze equally along the shaft of cutter. I, in the same shop, along with about 120 other tradesmen every day, share Craftsman, among other brands that are probably more popular here, and under conditions that you girls would probably consider to be "abusive", but here is my point: we don't have that problem. Ever. Never. The collet has been mis-used and now is conical. Been there, done that. Some day, it may be years from today, but some day you will finally be faced with no alternative but the truth. Take it or leave it.
I've got a 1HP Craftsman router that I've had more than a decade, still works fine. I've got a newer 3.5HP Craftsman router as well and it's seen a lot of use in my router table. The big router recently quit, and after a little troubleshooting, I found the switch assembly was clogged with sawdust. I leave the switch locked "on" all the time and use a switch on the table to turn it on/off. A little cleaning, and it's working fine again.
I've got a Porter Cable router at home and an older Bosch and a new Dewalt router at work. All work fine. The new Dewalt has the similar style of height adjustment as my oldest Craftsman but has more slop.
All my routers work fine. All have pros & cons. Some features of the Craftsman work better than my other brands. Note that Sears sells a number of tools that all carry the same Craftsman name. Some are considered entry level, some are better. The two Craftsman routers I have never slip router bits, but may have a completely different collet system than yours.
Bottom line, don't be jaded on a brand by one bad experience. I could bore you even further with problems I've had with Jet, Black&Decker (aka Dewalt), Porter Cable, Grizzly, etc. None are perfect. Buy another brand, but expect to find other issues...
Robert