obtaining FLAT surface

Hi all,
I'm trying to modify the look of a table top (approx size 4 by 2m). The board that was used originally was not perfectly flat. On top of this board, there is cherry-veneer finished with some kind of varnish. When looking at the tabletop with light coming from the opposite, a ripple effect is visible on the surface. I thought of taking the veneer away, re-sand the board, but the ripple-effect is to strong and won't be able to sand it out, at least, that's what a professional told me. I could change the board...but before I do that.. I'm wondering if there is a lacquer - varnish - polyester - or other solution which makes the top flat as a mirror and is transparent, i still want to enjoy the cherry veneer... Suggestions are welcome
Jill B

It will depend on how much of a ripple there is. Lee Valley has some clear wood finish lacquer that has self levelling properties. You can apply additional coats to build it up. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pE092&cat=1,190,42942
Perhaps some epoxy? A friend of mine bought some stuff he called "liquid plastic" that he used to trap a bunch of labels in the finish on a tabletop. Came out great, and I think he may have even bought it at the Borg. It would seem that that would work for you as well.
Good Luck,
-Phil Crow
Jill B wrote:

I'm not sure whether you mean that the wood itself is "rippled" or if it is the finish. If the wood itself, I'd think it will always appear rippled regardless of what you put on it...angular light is always going to create highlights/shadows even if the finish on the surface is dead flat.
As far as "flat as a mirror and transparent" goes, a pourable resin qualifies. http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html (see "casting resin") http://www.uscomposites.com/kk121.html
--

dadiOH