O/T: Today

On this anniversary date, lest we not forget 67 years ago today.
Lew

Thanks for mentioning it here Lew, it's been on my mind for days. Marc
marc rosen wrote:

Not to lesten the impact of that, but 28 years ago tomorrow.
Give Peace a Chance.
--
Froz...

Yes, I remember it quite well. I was playing outside with a friend when my mother came charging out the house. She yelled, "The Japs have attacked Pearl Harbor". The next day, the school broadcast Roosevelt's address to the Congress. Things have never been quite the same since.
It did come to me quite later, that Roosevelt had backed the Japanese into a corner and that perhaps he had goaded them into doing something.
Jim

It ended yesterday and nobody noticed.

You mean like the Rape of Nanking?
Wrong side of the world, but the Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere was Japan's version of Nazi Germany's lebensraum(sp?).
Japan was headed the way it went before FDR took office.

Would that be when World War II was already 2 years and 3 months old.
John G.
"John G." wrote:

Back when I was still sailing on the Great Lakes, would sail across Lakes Erie & Huron to the southern and/or western shores of Ontario visiting the little port towns there.
This was in the 70s & 80s and a visit to one of these towns was like traveling in a time warp back to the 40s when I was growing up or so it seemed.
Each of these little towns would have a park with a war memorial to the fallen.
In some it would be to the participants of the war of 1812 when Canada was still fighting with the British, which meant these were enemies of then USA at that time.
Others were to the fallen of WWII, many of whom died before 12/07/1941.
As I stood there reading and counting the names, I began to understand what a large percentage of the Canadian population had given their lives in WWII.
To this day, standing in front of that memorial in Kincardine looking at that memorial, lighted only by street lights, is still vivid in my memory.
Canada is also where the Brits trained fighter pilots before 12/07/1941.
They have a plane on an elevated display to acknowledge the fact in the first town west of the Welland canal whose name escapes me at the moment.
(Crazy bunch of fun folks in that town)
Yes, I remember.
Lew
John G. wrote:

Oh go suck a kangaroo.
--John

Damn... I hate cleaning coffee off my monitor.. Thanks, John..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Actually, no. That was when the European War was two years and three months old. The Japanese were kicking the crap out of the British in Shanghai and other places, but, so far, there was no true world scope.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

67 years ago my mother was 16. She never forgave the emperor for spoiling her party.
Dave

It was (today's the 8th) a double anniversary for me, Lew.. Got out of the Army *gasp* 40 years ago, on 12/7/68