O/T: Shredded Pork

Page 1 of 2
I love shredded pork and think I have found a way to make the shredding easier.
Start with a 5-7 pound butt and apply the dry rub of your choice.
If you don't have one, do a Google.
They all will have kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper, cumin and some cayenne.
After that your on your own.
Place meat with rub applied on a rack in an oven pan, fat side up, then use aluminum foil to construct a lid over the oven pan and seal things.
Place sealed pan in refrigerator over night.
The following day, remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temp for about an hour, then place in a 400F oven for 20 minutes to get things started.
Reduce oven to 250F for 6 hours.
Remove to a kitchen counter and let rest for 20-30 minutes, then carefully lift foil allowing any remaining steam to escape.
Allow to continue to rest until you can touch the meat with a bare hand then place on cutting board.
Using a couple of forks, remove fat, bone, etc, leaving lean meat.
Using forks shred meat into a bowl.
Time for an executive decision.
Serve as is over bun or add barbecue sauce, mix well, cover, then return to oven for 20-30 minutes, before serving as shredded barbecued pork.
The trick is the foil.
Keeps the meat soft and easy to shred.
Enjoy.
Lew
You had me right up till you said "oven" instead of "smoker".

Could do in the oven for a while till the smoker's ready that way that 6 hour sandwich is only 5- 5 1/2 hours away
Just my $.02
--

"Dave Balderstone" <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote in message

The meat is going to absorb the smoke flavor more when it is less than 140 degrees. Ovens are for roasting, smokers are for pulled pork.

Amen.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

As I posted earlier, ya do what ya gotta do.
Much as I would like, installing and maintaining a viable smoker is not an option at this time.
As long as the unwashed masses don't catch on, I'm good to go<G>.
Lew

Out in Kalefornia they are a bit gun shy about lighting up a fire for cooking.
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Different technology.
Foil would defeat the purpose of a smoker.
BTW I don't cook, smoke, grill, whatever, outside when the temps go below 50F, and none of the above are acceptable inside.
So, you do what ya gotta do.<G>
Lew

I agree. I don't either below -50F.
Luigi

I have gone as low as 17 degrees F at the start of smoking two 12 lb turkeys for Thanksgiving (sunrise, Thanksgiving Day). Think the temps hit like 35 that day.
That was some good turkey.
D'ohBoy

Actually we leave out meat uncovered in an aluminum foil pan for the first hour on the smoker then for the remainder of the cooking we cover with foil. An hour tends to be plenty of time to get the smoked taste and flavor.
On 9/5/2009 5:41 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

[snip]
OK, I'm calling your ass on this one.
It's one thing with the off-topic political screeds here (hey, I've even posted some of them, or at least "contributed" to those threads). Those tend to get longer than any of the on-topic threads.
Then there are the "humor" threads, also off-topic. Not so long, but there are lots of them (hmm, I seem to remember this one person who starts most of them: who is that again?)
But *food* threads? Can't shut up any more. Now you've gone waaaaay too far!
My god, man, don't you know how long these suckers get? I mean, they approach the theoretical limit of the length of a Usenet thread. Enough to make a body's newsreader choke. Food threads are the worst.
I now return you to the r.woodworking kitchen ...

Come on, David, food is good, and good food even better, and there is a tradition of recipes like this around holidays.
I was about to ask for a repeat of the ribs recipe, but my dear son is taking care of the ribs for Monday. We'll also have some steak, chicken, burgers and Opa's Spicy Dutch Meatballs (well, spicy, packets of Verstegen gehakt kruiden mix, but yummy nevertheless). Plus the best bagels Fair Lawn has to offer, and more ...
--
Best regards
Han
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Add some water soaked wood chips<G>.
Lew

NO, NO, NO........You missed the point. He cooks with WOOD CHIPS!
This is totally on topic! :^}
NO, NO, NO........You missed the point. He cooks with WOOD CHIPS!
This is totally on topic! :^}
It certainly is, I use my scraps for smoking meat. Cherry, oak, maple, walnut are all good. I've also given them away to the hardwood deprived.

I'm going to drive my daughter to work, and then pick up a nice pork shoulder for the smoker.
Pulled pork sammiches for supper tonight!

Total nonsense.
Rub with fave spice mix, put in 350F oven, roast till bone turns (if bone-in) or 185-190F, about 3 to 3-1/2 hrs.. Yank, pull, eat.
nb
"notbob" wrote:

When does the shredding take place?
Lew

It literally falls apart when properly smoked. I'm doing two butts tomorrow in fact. I put them on early, let them go at 300 degrees or so until the meat is so tender the bone pulls out and the meat has to be handled with a pair of gloves. I put it in a big SS bowl and pull apart the meat and put a North Carolina vinegar sauce on it.
I've been doing it that way since I made a trip to NC about 25 years ago. No foil is ever used. I want my meat smoked, not steamed. I want barbecue, not crock pot soup.
Eastern NC sauce is: cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, red pepper.
Take your time, heat is properly and see what real barbecue is like. Please, don't post your method on alt.barbecue.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/