O/T: Gotta Love It

Page 3 of 8

Native Americanadian Indians don't recognize the border between the US and Canada. At least, around these parts, they can work and live on either side of the border. Maybe that applies to all Native Americans.
Robatoy wrote:

Don't think I've ever met a Canadian overseas that wasn't proudly, and obviously, just that. These guys were the same.
But maybe it was just the times ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Likely Mohawk, and likely from Akwesasne, which is in both Canada and the US (NY State).
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Sounds like Quebec, which would explain the particular French dialect?
Apparently there were a number of them. If I hadn't gone through it myself I would be surprised that their participation in that particular operational area would not be better known.
No one wanted to hear about it then, and obviously fewer could care less now.
My hat goes off to them in any event ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yes, it's in Quebec, Ontario and NY State.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akwesasne>
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Using your above to DAGS, I ran across a blip in the first paragraph of this:
http://www.mormonmohawk.com/mohawkchildhood/militaryservice.html
Which, after all these years, is starting to make sense. 5th Special Forces Group, headquartered in Nha Trang at the time, was in charge of "indigenous" (Montagnard in this case) "Mike Strike" units in the Central Highlands which participated in the same operations that the ARVN Ranger unit, for whom I acted as artillery adviser and Forward Observer, participated.
These "indigenous" military units were headed by US Special Forces Rangers, usually 2 to four per unit. It happened that quite a few of these guys in this particular area were Canadians and spoke French, which fit nicely with the location (Central Highlands) and SF Ranger remarks in the link above.
A piece of the puzzle that at least some of these were the "reportedly Canadian Indians" they were rumored to be? ... something I always wondered about ... complicated by the fact that there were Korean and Australian units in the same area, so language differences when dealing with each other over the radio was both an issue, and when things got hot, noticeable.
Thanks ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Well, that got it back on topic ...

Ask the Brits about that. Most will tell you that it was them that pulled our asses out of the fire.

Worked for a while but we're catching up fast.
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

In CT, they outlawed "any distraction" so it includes all of those things. A little common sense on the driver's side goes a long way.

Was it Voltaire who said, "Common sense is not so common?"
Indeed.

In a few days here in Saskabush, it will be illegal to drive while talking on a phone without a hands free.
Funny, we have this statute about "driving without due care and attention" that never gets enforced.
Yup. More laws. Much needed.

*I* didn't "decide" anything.
I referenced the conclusions of studies of the issue.
Go look into it. There are quite a few well-regarded studies that all conclude exactly that.
And OhByTheWay: as a former bartender, I'm *quite certain* that I can drive perfectly fine ... WAY over the legal limit.
But I'm perfectly fine with obeying the law because:
a) I'm probably wrong about that, and
b) I don't believe most other drivers are.
Also ... people with "serious situation" -- much like people with a serious buzz -- should pull over.
Touched a nerve, did I? LOL!

Most other drunks are, too. They're quite certainly perfectly wrong.

Yep. You are. Friend of mine with a PhD in toxicology participated in a study, when he was in grad school, sponsored by the university's toxicology department and the State Police. They set up a road course with traffic cones in a parking lot, and served alcohol to the volunteers while the officers measured their BAC with breathalyzers and the uni tox dept confirmed the measurements by analyzing blood samples. The volunteers would then attempt to drive through the course.... He said that at 0.03 BAC he thought he probably wasn't safe to drive, at 0.05 he was sure he was NOT -- and at 0.10 he was quite sure that he WAS safe, but the video proved otherwise. :-)
That's really the danger of alcohol: it destroys the judgement. The more you drink, the less able you are to tell if you've had too much.
On Dec 27, 6:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You've just reinforced my point. Thank you :-)
Steve Turner wrote:

True.
That statement alone proves you wrong. Read what you wrote.
However, some

There is a difference between talking to a passenger and talking on the phone. Really, there is. Talking to a passenger, you are more likely to stop the conversation if a situation happens that needs more attention compared to talking on the phone.
Unlike the other poster, I'm not going to stop you from talking. I do it myself. The amount of attention and likelihood of distraction depends on many factors, Traffic, weather, who you are talking to, the subject, etc. In light or no traffic and asking the wife what is for dinner is far different that being in heavy fast moving traffic while trying to give detailed technical support to a customer.
In the past couple of years, quite a few teenagers have been killed while driving and talking. Where do you draw the line?

The corollary to that is that -- since the passenger is watching the "same movie" as you are -- most passengers know when they need to STFU, too ;-)

Thank you for yet another important distinction that ... seems beyond the grasp of oh-so-many people.

I've lost one friend to it, already (though it did nothing to affect my view on the subject. I already knew it was a disaster waiting to happen ... in so many contexts). My 100k person town lost about three KIDS because of cell-phone-wielding drivers ... in 2009, alone.
I know where _I_ would draw the line ;-)
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:50:28 -0800 (PST), Neil Brooks

There is also a lot of nonverbal communication going on when it's in-person that isn't possible over the phone. This likely reduces the concentration needed to get an idea across as well as indicating when to STFU.

SWMBO gets mad at me for cutting her off when she calls and I'm driving. OTOH, she gets pissed when others are yakking on phones when she's driving. Go figure.

Cell phone seeking Sidewinders?

Oh ... say THAT three times, fast :-)
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:04:21 -0800 (PST), Neil Brooks

Does saying it fast knock out cell phones? ;-)