O/T: Good by Gustav, Hello Ike

Looks like south Texas' turn in the barrel.

Take care and be safe you rascals.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I was wondering about that. I saw it on the news.

For the geographically impaired, just exactly where is this storm hitting?

Is this in a diferent place than where most of the wreckers here reside?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

As of 10 PM tonight ( latest update from the NWS ), Galveston .. which is 50 miles south of Houston ... putting the eye right over downtown Houston around 7 AM Saturday morning if it stays on the current track.

That said, every update for the last two days has shown a corresponding slight shift to the East. That would be slightly better news for the Houston-Galveston area if said Eastward trend continues, but obviously bad news for those further East.

Being West of the center of a hurricane on the Gulf Coast is considered the lesser of two evils as the winds on the West side are generally from the North due to its counterclockwise rotation, meaning they are usually dry and you are on the "clean", less chance of heavy rain/flooding side. It often doesn't do much to mitigate the high winds, however, but does make a difference on whether you evacuate/un-ass the area ... CW for hurricane survival is to "hide from the wind (usually stay put and hunker down), run from the water (get hell outta Dodge)".

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that will be under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

Reply to
Swingman

It's heading for Crawford!

Reply to
Robatoy

SFWIW:

From a sailing list I belong to:

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Here's a good web based hurricane "track" information model, updated with each NWS update:

often shows the current track/positions of all hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms around the world, from the same URL.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Thanks for that chilling update. Sound a little scary. Hope all you guys come out of this unscathed.

It seems appropriate somehow that this destructive force of nature was named after a dead president.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well, I will remember you, Leon, Dave, and anyone else in harm's way tonight in my evening consultations with upper management.

I have been emailing with my sister that lives just off Braeswood Bayou of Stella Link, and they have decided to ride it out. They are scared, nervous, and everything else as the last hurricane/tropical storm that flooded them out (2002?) took about 4 years to resolve all the issues it created.

Some of the folks by the bayou had 5 feet of water in their houses and lost absolutely everything. They were happy with 6" or so...

I went to see her and her family shortly after that and I was shocked to see all the fantastically expensive furniture, etc., stacked in front of some of those million dollar homes along the other side of the bayou, ruined from being completely under water for couple of days. I still remember a picture they ran in the Houston Chronicle of an 18 wheeler and its cargo van under so much water that you could just see the outline from a helicopter overhead.

It wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as that according to predictions... so many folks were caught flat footed and lost everything...

Good luck to all. I will be thinking of you as I am sure many others will as well.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

All the best!

Batten down the hatches and secure the mizzen mast...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I thought it was named after my Tabby cat, Ike.

Reply to
B A R R Y

As are a number of my family members in Richmond and down by the space center.

You guys take care.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

: >>without the spam and usual filtering.... : : Here's a good web based hurricane "track" information model, updated with : each NWS update: : :

It often shows the current track/positions of all : hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms around the world, from the same URL.

Here's another (from the Tampa Bay Railroad no less) that is fairly comprehensive:

(boarded up ) in Houston Hunkered down in Floresville, Texas

Reply to
NuWave Dave

Well, I will remember you, Leon, Dave, and anyone else in harm's way tonight in my evening consultations with upper management.

I have been emailing with my sister that lives just off Braeswood Bayou of Stella Link, and they have decided to ride it out. They are scared, nervous, and everything else as the last hurricane/tropical storm that flooded them out (2002?) took about 4 years to resolve all the issues it created.

Allison. We worked five flood jobs including a couple about two blocks north of Braes Bayou and two blocks east of Stella Link. Client closest to the bayou had 31 inches and client across the street 16 inches. Did we rip up a lot of hardwood flooring - or what.

Some of the folks by the bayou had 5 feet of water in their houses and lost absolutely everything. They were happy with 6" or so...

I went to see her and her family shortly after that and I was shocked to see all the fantastically expensive furniture, etc., stacked in front of some of those million dollar homes along the other side of the bayou, ruined from being completely under water for couple of days. I still remember a picture they ran in the Houston Chronicle of an 18 wheeler and its cargo van under so much water that you could just see the outline from a helicopter overhead.

It wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as that according to predictions... so many folks were caught flat footed and lost everything...

It rained 18 iches in about 12 hours at my house in NW Houston. We didn't flood but many people three blocks down our street sure did.

Good luck to all. I will be thinking of you as I am sure many others will as well.

Dave (enjoying the tropical breezes) in Floresville, Texas

Robert

Reply to
NuWave Dave

"B A R R Y" wrote

Is your Tabby cat a destructive force of nature?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Only if his second job is as a TV talking head! ;)

Reply to
Swingman