O/T: Free Labor

Last fall California passed a law that said if the Legislature didn't submit a balanced budget on time, they would not be paid until they did.
Pay averages $400/day + $142/day for perdiem expenses.
The Legislature submitted a budget on time; however, Gov Brown vetoed it as not being balanced and the comptroller agreed.
The result is that the Legislature is burning the late night oil trying to create a balanced budget while not getting paid for the effort.
Gotta love it.
Wonder if they will learn anything?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep, that's a good story!

Yeah, but do they get back pay once they do? I doubt it is truly free.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-------------------------------- No.
Lew
On 6/22/2011 11:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You guys elected the same governor twice now, are y'all learning? ;~)
And this is funny, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_California
the list of currently living former governors does not include your current governor.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

But does the governor lose pay, perks etc. since his veto produced the delay?
"phorbin" wrote:

----------------------------------- No, but he could care less.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:4e02c49a$0$9678$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

The general public or the pols? I doubt it for either. <sigh>

I got out just in time, just after Greyout Davis bent us over with the electrical contracts at triple the normal cost. Wild liberal ruffians (among other unions) got ahold of the referendum process and things haven't been the same down there for awhile, have they?
Surely, the day is pending when someone serves politicians their just reward. Ever read John Ross' _Unintended Consequences_? ;) I'm sure glad I bought my copy when I did. http://goo.gl/cselc
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London