O/T: Abby Sunderland Rescued!

Page 2 of 5
HeyBub wrote: ...

???
Demasted in high seas halfway between Africa and Australia and you think there was a choice to be made????
On 6/12/2010 7:57 PM, dpb wrote:

Yep, rig a jury mast and creep to the nearest land. Bligh had a lot less to work with than she did and a far less capable hull under him and yet he made it as far as she needed to go.

Bligh had been at sea for 17 years when he was set adrift. He was also an excellent navigator. And he made it farther - 3,600 miles.
On 6/12/2010 9:45 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Doesn't matter. The point is that there is a choice--being dismasted isn't the same as the boat breaking in half.

In her case it may as well be. Except for the emergency beacons.
On 6/12/2010 11:11 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

There you're assuming things again. While she does come across as someone who has little mechanical aptitude, that impression might be mistaken.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

------------------------------------- She has been a live aboard cruiser.
My money says she can strip and rebuild an outboard while seated in the dinghy it drives.
Lew
On 6/13/2010 1:08 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If she hadn't made such poor decisions involving equipment I would agree with you.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

----------------------------------------- It is obvious that the "Brain Trust" for this attempt had a strong influence from the "Go Fast", hitech racing crowd.
(Carbon spar, water ballast, etc)
It is also obvious they really didn't understand 12VDCV power systems on an extended voyage sail boat.
IMHO, the decision to use an electronic/electro/hydraulic auto pilot rather than a servo wind vane doomed this project before it ever left the dock.
To keep weight to a minimum, the house bank battery was much to small for the task.
As a result, the recharge rate was less than optimum.
The alternator chosen required a 2 gang set of matched belts to drive it; however, the 18 HP, Yanmar diesel is fitted with only a single groove sheave.
As a result, the alternator "Ate" belts.
(This maybe what Abby's "Engine Trouble" was all about since the 18 HP Yanmar is usually fairly reliable.)
The basic design parameter of a sailboat electrical system is that the house bank must carry the load while cycling between 60% and 90% of capacity.
Some simple rules of wet cell batteries.
For every 100AH consumed, you must replace with 125AH
The sustained average recharge rate of a battery is about 15%.
If you want to recharge at a 60A rate you need 400AH of batteries.
They stopped in Cabo and added some house battery capacity but didn't have a 2 gang sheave machined and installed to solve the belt drive problem.
Machinery and electronics are great things, but on a small sailboat trying to do a non stop around the world passage, electrical and machine devices will bite you in the ass.
At least that was my experience sailing a 30ft boat on the Great Lakes.
Had many machinery malfunctions but never had a piece of line (rope) fail.
Sailing and simplicity go together.
Machinery on a sail boat is a disaster waiting to happen, IMHO.
Lew
On 6/13/2010 9:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

One does wish that L. Francis Herreshoff was alive to comment on the current state of the art.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

--------------------------------- And maybe even Josh.
Any body got a box of carpet tacks?
Lew
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:10:53 -0400, "J. Clarke"

He'd be at the forefront of technolgy, just as he was in his day.

I was thinking more the navigational skills. Bligh got his in something like seven years with Cook.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

----------------------------------- Are you suggesting that her sextant skills may be a little rusty or perhaps she bypassed the need to learn morse code?
Lew

Is their a standard test for solo circum-navigation? Didn't she put in to SA to get the $150K nav system repaired?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

------------------------------ You tell me. ----------------------------------

----------------------------------------- Don't think so.
Pulled into Cabo for electrical system Mods such as higher out put alternator at low RPM and added battery bank capacity, none of which applied to navigation or communication electronics.
There were also some autopilot issues.
Forced to stop in Capetown for autopilot repairs, again nothing related to either communication or navigation issues.
Her blog would have the details.
Lew
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 01:02:25 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Funny. As a committed cruising sailor, one would think you'd know the answer to that question. At the very least, you'd be committed enough to look up the answer to that question. Guess you're not as committed as you claim.
Yeah, yeah, I know. My head is where the sun doesn't shine. Guess that's true since it's the middle of the night where I am.
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 01:02:25 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Actually, that was the entire reason she needed that done. She had so much electronic gear that she was dependant upon, that the systems on the boat couldn't keep up with the power demands.

That is an epic understatement.
The autopilots were a major blunder. They did not belong on this boat for this voyage. That was perhaps the primary reason her charging system failed. For long passage making, autopilots are an absurd choice. She should have had a proper windvane system. That would have also given her redundant steering if the rudder failed.
Chances are excellent that the knockdowns including the one that dismasted her were helped along by the autopilot as well.
On 6/13/2010 3:09 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

No. What was being repaired was the autopilot.
I have no idea whether she knows how to do celestial navigation. It's not really all that hard though. Tania Aebi figured it out as she went, and she started with an almighty lot less experience than Abby Sunderland.

Well, crikey, there's a recommendation! Maybe the next stunter will have no experience sailing ...