O/T: A Punch In The Gut

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 05:39:32 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Funny how little things like kids will change things.

Yep, ah reckon so. Mrs. Jones brought out the Prince of Darkness in the Trumpet, eh?
I've been very happy with my vehicles lately. Fuel injection is a Godsend, vastly different than the old days. Remember crossing a street back in carbureted days? When the engine was cold, you'd wonder if it would stall on you when your vehicle was right in the middle of the road. I used to tune up my vehicles every several thousand miles. Now they run for years and years without any need for maintenance, other than oil changes.
Still, I miss my old '70 AMC Javelin. After my rebuild, installing a mild cam, it had 425hp and 450ft/lb of torque. The Borg Warner close- ratio T-10 tranny was good for those busy times of getting up to speed in several seconds. That thing had a Rottenchester carb which never gave me any trouble except once, when it stuck WFO. Scary.
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill

How does a Sportster get stolen? Ignition gets picked or punched or the bike gets dragged onto a flatbed and driven away?
On 6/20/2012 12:34 AM, Dave wrote:

Chain cut, picked up, loaded in a pickup, and it's gone. Our banditos are nothing, if not brazen ... hell, they can steal an entire AC condenser unit, without losing the freon, in less than two minutes. DAMHIKT
Much of this stuff ends up in Mexico. Highway 59 going South out of Houston, on any given day, a caravan can be seen, one car/truck pulling another, both loaded to the gills with loot, heading for distribution South of the border.
Your bought and paid for politicians just look the other way ... so why not?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

How much would a Sportster weight? No bike is light and neither is a Sportster. Must have been several people or some type of hoist or winch to drag it onto a pickup.
Man, I'd go nuts if I caught anyone pulling that crap on me. You must have been pissed for a hell of a long time.
On 6/20/2012 7:21 PM, Dave wrote:

I don't recall exactly, maybe 500+ pounds? Three young, healthy guys could lift it into a pickup, especially with some adrenalin flowing, and the incentive was there.
I'm still pissed ... they'd do well to never confess.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Any local suspects? Do you figure it's long gone down Mexico way?

Police never got anything on it at all. Probably arrived the next afternoon, 28 years ago ... Mexico is only a five or six hour drive.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Sounds like my father... A bit older than you and only recently took his Harley off the road... still has his Corvette on the road though.
Bicycling can be a risk too when it comes to vehicles, crashes, and other people. With heavily loaded touring bicycles things don't go well at times. Wind, gravel, cracks, riding at the edge of the blacktop, etc., can lead to loss of control. Last summer on our trip from La Junta CO to Pasco WA my son and I both had crashes from drifting off the pavement. In Frisco CO Jesse did equipment damage but in a superman like fashion managed to avoid the carnage and land on his feet despite the clip less pedals. Me.. in Lowell ID my equipment was fine bit I had a very bloody left knee with a hole where there used to be skin and I cracked some ribs. In Yellowstone, a fellow cyclist whom we first encountered in Frisco, was run off the road by a motorhome. The motorhome driver was arrested for vehicular assault as in addition to Tom's complaint an eye witness to the driver's behaviors leading up to the incident stepped forward. On my FL to NY trip I was attacked by drunk red necks a few times and narrowly escaped robbery another time. I also crashed just north of the FL / GA border when I got into some sand on the shoulder. Next year's trip with my other son will hopefully be less eventful in these respects!
John
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:00:13 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I ride a bicycle(breezer-liberty) a lot, haven't done any touring (maybe one day) mostly day trips. Even if drivers see you it seems as they go brain dead about what to do when they see a bicycle(do I really have to wait at the stop sign for the bike to go by?). Thinking that they will even grant you the right to exist will get you killed. The roads in Al and the drivers aren't very bike friendly, I even had one city cop suggest I should stay off the road.
basilisk
That's the same with many cars/motorcycles. I had been cutoff many times by someone crossing in front of me even though I had right of way. Here in NJ and NY headlights on motorcycles are on all the time... Yet for some reason the cars wait until you are right there and go..
Some bicyclists though are asses. I live in farm country here in NJ, and many bikers ride 2 and 3 abreast on country roads, where it's tough to pass. You would think with a car behind they would single file, but they don't they just block it up.. My son now rides competitively, his school team asked him to join when he went for rides with them... And if I see him doing that shit, I'll scare the crap out of him...
On 6/19/2012 1:39 PM, basilisk wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

While cyclists legally have the same rights to the road as other vehicles there is that "common courtesy" thing that is often missing. Riding 2-3 abreast is fine if there are no cars but to impede traffic is a simple lack of courtesy. It's not just them though. When I ride on some of the local trails the running club takes the entire trail... no "keep to the right" mentality with them. Motorhomes in FL and Yellowstone have been the worst in my cycling experience. They are either arrogant as hell, like the guy who ran Tom off the road in Yellowstone, or they have NO CONCEPT of the vacuum effect their large vehicles have on bicyclists. I had a guy on Rte 41 in the Everglades nearly take me out with his step... he didn't fold it up.
John
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:03:38 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Not just there and not just for bicycle riders. Out west, most hill/ mountain roads have signs every few miles "slow vehicles must use turnouts" - apparently that message is in some indecipherable alien language.
When I was pulling a big 5th wheel I'd check my mirrors and use the turnout if there was even one vehicle behind me. I've seen motorhomes and trailers with 10-20 cars behind them go blithely past turnout after turnout.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:26:16 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

And just last month, I came upon a pair of bicyclists who were riding tandem, taking up half my lane. There was another car coming and the riders still didn't get off the road or go single file. I glared at them on the way by, slowly, and they looked at me as if was from another world and wondering "What did _we_ do?" <sigh>
This morning, on the way into town, a girl was stopped in the right lane, halfway up the hill. She stood on the road with her front tire a foot into the lane and just looked at me as I had to veer into the other lane to pass her. Again, the "What are you looking at?" look. These riders are not only stupid and arrogant, they're just sitting ducks for inattentive drivers.
Viva la Darwin Awards!
-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain
Yup, two people were killed a few weeks back on our 407 toll highway like that. Perhaps somebody else knows the details.
--------
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
And just last month, I came upon a pair of bicyclists who were riding tandem, taking up half my lane. There was another car coming and the riders still didn't get off the road or go single file. I glared at them on the way by, slowly, and they looked at me as if was from another world and wondering "What did _we_ do?" <sigh>
This morning, on the way into town, a girl was stopped in the right lane, halfway up the hill. She stood on the road with her front tire a foot into the lane and just looked at me as I had to veer into the other lane to pass her. Again, the "What are you looking at?" look. These riders are not only stupid and arrogant, they're just sitting ducks for inattentive drivers.
Viva la Darwin Awards!
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

The other problem with bicyclists is that they don't think that the traffic laws apply to them. I've seen them go cruising through stop signs and red lights like being on a bicycle gives them the right-of- way. And then there are the ones who ride facing traffic.

Works both ways.
Case in point, in Idaho a rolling stop ("stop sign as yield") on a bicycle is perfectly legal. Title 49, Chapter 7, section 720. Been on the books for almost 30 years. Its right there in the state drivers manual as well.
Yet the only motorist I meet who seem to know about it are also active bicyclist.
As far as I know, the bicyle/car accident rate in Idaho is no different than any other state.
--
Frank Stutzman

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:22:21 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Your right, I see them too, personally I stay as out of the way as possible, the bike/car contest is a losing one for the cyclist. I do have the right to be there, but I see self peservation as the top prority, a distracted driver will run over you long before he worries about your rights.
basilisk
I used a motorcycle for years as my only transportation (year round). Snow and hurricanes (1 really bad) were killers for me. I survived all that, but a drunk driver rear ending me showed me how vulnerable I could be...
I don't miss those frigid rides, the cold rainy rides. The snow , the power cable knocked down by the hurricane winds, and sparking as it almost hit me as I rode by with my feet out to steady myself in case the wind pushed me over... You do what you have to do.