O/T: A Punch In The Gut

Page 2 of 3

Good operator. I'd need to get new glasses before I tried that.
Mike M
On 6/20/2012 12:51 AM, Dave wrote:

Lazy ass didn't finish the job.

How do you like that Kubota tractor? (Sorry if this is a few days old, yesterday I found out my skid steer has a couple leaks that will be uneconomical to fix.)
I'm looking at my options and trying to figure out what will be best in the long run.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 23 Jun 2012 07:36:23 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I like it a lot. I replaced an old 47 Case VAI with it. The Case is older the 3 point hitches so I couldn't do much with it but tow and drag. The Kubota is B3200 so I think's its the biggest of the B series. The 4 cylinder seems to have more vibration then the 3 cylinder but has a 5' bucket instead of a 4'. My neighbor has a B26 and I'm about 10" wider, higher and longer. The backhoe is well thought out as it goes on and off in about 10 minutes. The seat swivels around so you have lots of leg room in either direction. The only con I can think of isn't won't load a standard dump truck. I have a dump trailer so it is fine for that. The backhoe is strong and has a mechanical thumb so you can place rocks with it. They have a 4 year zero percent financing so you can get a new one pretty reasonable. I made a large down payment so my payments are less then it would cost to rent one for a day. So far I've only had one minor problem. I bent a mount for a safety switch of course I was a 1/2 mile from home. It was a crowbar repair once I had the tool I needed. Nuetral position sensor so it wouldn't start. Probably did the initial bend going thru slash piles. My neighbor just got his B26 w/o backhoe and I think it was about 14K and there are always used ones out there. Although 2009 when I was looking at used all the used one were pre crash purchased and they wanted about as much as the new one.
Mike M

They've got a package deal going with the L3800 or L3200 (5 hp is the only difference) which seems to have similar specs to yours. The engines are different sizes, but similar horsepower. How does yours do in soft wet grass? I had to pick and choose my days for skid steer work at times, as it wouldn't take much time for the wheels to sink in and get stuck. (No tracks.)
Is the backhoe limited in height like the loader bucket? With the mechanical thumb, it could be useful for tearing down my sister's 1-story garage. (We knew the garage needed to be replaced when she bought the place.)
It looks like tractors with loaders are running between $8,000 and $12,000 used in my area, with the $10,000 - $12,500 range being most common. New doesn't seem to be all that much more, maybe around 25%. Over the life of a machine, that's not all that much. The've got 0% for 60 months and a couple of rebates on the L-series tractors (that expire this month), so it will be interesting to see how it compares to a used one.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 24 Jun 2012 02:34:35 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

The L series is a little heavier which can be a plus, go to Kubota's web site and you can compare all the specs as most of the components are engineered for the equipment they are on. That's why I have the excavtor as well as it takes care of most of want the backhoe doesn't, and it has a hydraulic thumb. But even then I've had to rent a bigger excavator for some of the really big stumps. Last one I hauled away was over 2 tons. I'm in Western Washington so you can imagine the mud here in the winter. With a backhoe you can almost always push yourself out of a problem. If you get the agricultural tires you get good traction, 4WD and doesn't tear the grass up if its not too wet. The tractor is about 3500lbs vs over 4 tons for the excavator and that weight makes a bigger difference then the HP. I wish I had it 20 years ago I would probably have fewer aches and pains. Put a hot tub up on the deck by myself with the loader. You'll be amazed how much easier the tasks will be with a reliable well build piece of equipment. Of course that's a comon theme here.
Mike M

I'm hoping that the tractor will be the right tool for the job more often than the skid steer. The skid steer was so sensitive to the ground underneath that leveling/grading was difficult and so tall that getting it in somewhere would also be difficult.
I'll add agricultural tires to the list of things to ask about.
Thanks for the conversation, it was good to chat with someone who's got something similar to what I'm looking at.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I'd give the percentages 50/50 there. Suckage and luckage.

Ditto here in southern Oregon on spring and summer mornings.

Amen to that. I got rear ended in a parking lot in my big truck with the headlights on. The guy didn't even look. If I'd been on a scoot, he'd have broken my legs, at minimum.
My very first vehicle was a 1969 Kawasaki Street 90. I could drive it alone with my learner's permit at age 15-1/2 in CA. I must have been up and down every single street in Vista at least once before I gave up that bike. A friend had a Swedish trencher. I rode it once and the toggle-switch-like throttle scared the absolute shit out of me. That Husky 400 would dig a trench a whole lot faster than a DitchWitch, lemme tell ya. <g> He was a motocrosser. I never did get a larger bike, but in the one accident I was in, I was happily ensconced in a nice fiberglass helmet. It saved me arse, it did. My helmeted head hit the Cadillac's rear door in the center and it broke the window. My only damage was a rug burn on my right forearm, which I used to put myself squarely on top of the bike when it went down. I was glad I had a coat on that drizzly morning.
-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain
On 6/19/2012 5:36 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ouch ... I had one laydown that left a lasting impression, and I'd bet not only on me.
I might have told this one here before, but ...
On an Easter Sunday morning, an idiot with his wife and kids in tow, passed me while I was driving the speed limit (35) in the right lane of a four lane boulevard; just as he was fully into my lane he slammed on his brakes to make a right turn into, fercrissakes, a church parking lot (???). Sensing the danger as he'd passed, I'd already hit the brakes, but still had to lay the bike down to keep from going over the top, and me and the bike skid further than I cared to under his back bumper.
Unhurt, but highly pissed, I extricated myself and the bike while he just sat in the car as if nothing happened. As I walked up on the drivers side, he rolled his window down, and before he could say a word I had him by the lapels of his christian leisure suit and had hauled the best part of his funky ass out the window while banging the back of his head against the top of the window frame with each tug, all the while telling him what a stupid SOB he was in a most unchristian manner, a sermon everyone in the church parking lot had not anticipated on an Easter Sunday.
If his wife hadn't started screaming, and the kids crying, I'd probably still be pounding on him ... Yep, most unchristian like behavior on my part, but thanks ONLY to the relatively low speed, and me laying the bike down, it was NOT me that he _did_ kill.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Defensive driving was hammered into me by both Mom and Dad before I got my bike. Kudos on using that same principle to save your life. It's a nightmare out there.

A most excellent way to put the fear of God into the guy, and what an appropos setting for everyone to start thinking about others on the road besides their hypocritical, asshole, Christian selves. (apologies to the 3% of churchgoers who _aren't_ HACs.)

Har! I'd likely have done the same thing if my accident had been caused by anyone other than a stupid, blind old lady. I hope she lost her license for that. I had my headlight on and everything. I certainly hope that your little motivational session with the guy made him more aware of his surroundings while driving every time he drove after that.
-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

folks go to church once a year, on Easter. And they are often late and get a little stupid trying to get to church on time.
I witnessed a collision between two Easter Sunday church goers myself. I was walking by the church when it happened. They crashed into one another right outside the church. They got out, exchanged information and went to church! I guess it is just so hard to get it right when you only do it once a year.
On 6/19/2012 8:23 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

:)

I thought the idea of a helmet was to wear it on your head ? <g>
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 6/20/2012 11:33 AM, Stuart wrote:

+1
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Smartarses. <g>
-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain
On 6/20/2012 11:33 AM, Stuart wrote:

Well at younger ages the part we need to protect, our brains, is not always located in our heads. A lot of women will attest to that face in that we often think with our ..... ;~)

Must have been a hell of a big helmet too.
LMAO!

I bought a Husky 250 after I wore out my CZ/Jawa 125 dirt bike to the point I left it behind in Holland. The 400 was WAY more bike than I needed to have fun, even though it wasn't that much more expensive. My love affair with road bikes ( a Honda 750/4 ) ended when my first daughter was born in 1980. I felt, at the time, that I needed to stay alive.
I have looked at them again and again, in fact just in the last month, 3 bikes went up for sale: a 750 Yamaha Vtwin, a 1974 900cc BMW and a nice Sportster, not sure of the details, but nice-looking. That Sportster sold in a couple of days.
The two two-seater sportscars came up for sale in the same area where I walk my dog: A Miata, not sure of the age, but I passed the second I realized there was no airbag preventing the steering column from impaling me. The second car was a TR250, also no airbag, but al least life would end with a gorgeous Italian custom wood-grained steering wheel in my ribs. I had a 1967 GT6 Triumph which I bought new and that was a love/hate relationship. Even just a forecast of rain would make it hard to start, or when Mrs Jones boiled her noodles 3 minutes too long the damn thing would wet-out on me and she lived 3 blocks away.
I think I am done with 'sports' motorized vehicles.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 05:39:32 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

The BMW sounds like a nice "vintage" bike. That's a whole different world. I belong to a vintage group and some of the guys have garages full of old European bikes. I'm partial to street singles myself - I'd love to have an Ariel Red Hunter or a Vincent Comet, or even a Panther. Maybe my wife will win the lottery one of these days :-).

That BMW could have been had for $ 3500.00. It was mint. Purred like a kitten. I found it 'too tall' for me. COG up that high made it feel funny. And here I thought flat boxers' big selling point was a low COG. I guess not when applied to bikes if you mount the engine up that high for cornering clearance. Those cylinders are way out there. Add the crash bars and it feels like you're flying a plane. Still....nice machine.