Now that we have done cheap jointers to death, how about planers?

I promised my wife I would build a teak blanket chest, and while I really hoped not to have to buy a planer, the only teak I can find is rough. Oh well.
Anyhow, my real problem is space. I have no room for stationary tools, and even putting them on wheels won't work; I pretty much have to use light benchtop stuff I can rotate from shelves to a stand in the middle of my "shop". So I am looking for a light planer I can attach to a dust collector.
Everyone seems to have the Delta TP400SL on sale now for $299, with a stand. (Are there any others I should be looking at? I expect the better ones are also prohibatively heavy; the Delta 22-580 is 30 pounds more.
Thanks.
I have the 22-580 and have to give it a "good" rating for a portable. Snipe is a problem due to the stamped metal infeed and outfeed tables but proper support with roller stands can eliminate most of that. I will admit that I have come pretty close to "abusing" it over the past two years but it still keeps going strong.
Space is a problem for me also but the unit fits perfectly on top of a Craftsman mechanic's tool cabinet where I leave it. I simply wheel the entire cabinet around where ever I need it, then back against the wall when I'm done (remember to close the tool drawers before planing...don't ask how I know that).
A friend of mine bought the Dewalt 12" and it seems to have sturdier feed tables. Other than that I can't attest to that model over the Delta.

Where are you located? I'm in NE FL and am disposing of a 22-540 with a shop built roll around stand and extension tables (got a DC-380). Let me know if this is something you could be interested in. I don't want to ship it, however.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

chill hasn't gotten above -20F.
Only thing to realize is that TEAK can be very abrasive and can wear the planner knives pretty good
John

Toller;
Teak is very hard on your blades. Lots of silica in the wood... I asked an acquaintance to plane some teak for me, before I had my own planer. He just about took my head off and told me that was what my hand planes were for. I planed the teak with my hand plane and quite enjoyed the experience. And I didn't have to replace the blade(s) when finished. :>)
Brian
| I promised my wife I would build a teak blanket chest, and while I really | hoped not to have to buy a planer, the only teak I can find is rough. Oh | well. | | Anyhow, my real problem is space. I have no room for stationary tools, and | even putting them on wheels won't work; I pretty much have to use light | benchtop stuff I can rotate from shelves to a stand in the middle of my | "shop". So I am looking for a light planer I can attach to a dust | collector. | | Everyone seems to have the Delta TP400SL on sale now for $299, with a stand. | (Are there any others I should be looking at? I expect the better ones are | also prohibatively heavy; the Delta 22-580 is 30 pounds more. | | Thanks. | |

If you can find one of the Home Depot Ridgid TP1300(?) planers they were closing out, I think you might be pretty satisfied. I bought one 18 months ago, and have been using it a lot. Mostly red oak, some rough sawn, but some soft maple, a lot of walnut, and rough, air-dried cherry as well. Oh, and some 'lesser known' species of Central American woods I got from EarthSource in Oakland, CA. Some of them used where ipe is often specified.
I put my second set of blades in the machine this week. Less than $20, IIRC. I built a sled of melamine-coated particle board, because some of what I do is thinner, and somewhat shorter than optimal. Very little snipe.
I thought it well worth the $400 with the stand. If you can find one now, you'll pay maybe $300. One healthy fellow can lift it, if that's how your shop sets up best. My neighbor welded up a mobile base for mine.
Patriarch
It's nice to have good neighbors.