NOT TOO OT - Got Another Wood Hauler

Page 1 of 2

The 1979 GMC pickup has done well since 2001. But, recently it developed some mystery problems - the engine and transmission are still fine - but, the truck is making some very mysterious pounding noises while driving, sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator, but it's not. Can't see anything loose, or that looks like it is getting beaten on. So, started checking one of the local bargain papers. And, hit paydirt.
Found, and bought, a nice 1978 Chevrolet El Camino. I've long wanted one, not that particular year, I'd have preferred a 1972-73, but any year would have done. It desperately needs a paint job, but ony surface rust, no rust holes - the prior owner had left it sitting outdoors, not running, for 10 years, and didn't touch it. The headliner is out. The dash is seriously cracked. I had to replace the mast4er cylinder, and have the brakes bled. It has IROC wheels, which I think pretty much suck, but the older kid suggested we paint them white, and I think that will look OK. The rear gears are only 2:43-1.
The good part is: Everything works - even the clock. Only one dent, in the front of the passenger front fender. The guy has all the missing trim, and the kid is supposed to pick it up for me.
The great part is: A rebuilt engine (someone swapped out the original 350, and replaced it with a 307), new Vortec heads and intake manifold, new Edelbrock 650 carburetor, new alternator, new air conditioning compressor, mild Crane cam, new radiator, new hoses, new belts, new shocks, new tires, new tie rods, and the list goes on, and the guy supplied receipts for everything. All the chrome is great. The body is absolutely straight. The guy says it knocks down 18-20 MPG. It handles absolutely great. It has true duals, and the sound is really great.
The guy was ssking $1500, and I kinda screwed up in letting the son do the bargaining, instead of me. He got it knocked down to $1300 - I think I coulda got it down to $1200. But, the $1300 would have been without the new Sony radio-CD player, with two speakers behind the seat. It would have cost me at least $100 for another radio, plus the hassle of installing it. So, thre final price was $1400. If I'd gotten a vehiicle, and had all that done to it, the cost would probably cost at least twice the $1400 I paid, not including whatever it would cost for just the vehicle. The guy is single, and has too many toys takng money, that he had to get rid of this one - he only used it as a parts hauler. His loss, my gain. I'm still not sure if I'd cound this as a gloat, warm fuzzy, or a neener. Whatever it is, it is definitely making me happy. The guy said I was the third guy that called about it, and the only one that looked at it. I saw another, in the same bargain paper, listed at $3500.
Remember, check your local bargain papers. And, anyone in central NC, wanting a 1979 GMC pickup, let me know - I'm ready to sell mine.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
Sounds like it qualifies as a gloat to me, especially if it can lay a strip ;). I have a set of the original "rally" rims plus the spare that would have been correct for that El Camino (they came off of a '78 Malibu) . If your ever in central Ohio you can have them for free. --dave

It sounds to me, a Brit, that you are one jammy bastard! (probably the highest accolade we can endow) Enjoy!
Tue, Mar 21, 2006, 2:18pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net (LimeyLurker) doth sayeth: It sounds to me, a Brit, that you are one jammy bastard! (probably the highest accolade we can endow) Enjoy!
One of the things I like about the Brits is your sterling command of the English language. LOL If you're ever in the area stop by for a ride.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
Tue, Mar 21, 2006, 10:04pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (DaveJackson) offereth: <snip> I have a set of the original "rally" rims plus the spare that would have been correct for that El Camino (they came off of a '78 Malibu) . If your ever in central Ohio you can have them for free.
Than's for the offer, but I don't expect to be doing any foreign travel. The kid says he'll paint the IROC rims white, and that whould make them look OK - until I can find some wheels I actually like.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
I had that kind of noise years ago on an old truck. Turned out to be one of the belts. It looked ok when not running but had a piece which stuck out and occasionally whacked something when it was running.
Art

Might also want to check the tires for a possible but not visible delamination. Had one on my 85 toyota truck. Drove me nuts looking for the source. Pat
Tue, Mar 21, 2006, 10:36pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (patrickmitchel) doth sayeth: Might also want to check the tires for a possible but not visible delamination. Had one on my 85 toyota truck. Drove me nuts looking for the source. Pat
Tires are new enough that shouldn't be a problem. But, I'll check anyway.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
Tue, Mar 21, 2006, 4:31pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@zzzz.com (WoodButcher) doth sayeth: I had that kind of noise years ago on an old truck. Turned out to be one of the belts. It looked ok when not running but had a piece which stuck out and occasionally whacked something when it was running.
A couple of years ago, sounded a similar noise, but louder. Turned out the belt on one of the tires had separated, and there was about a two foot piece hanging off the tire, and slamming the fender everytime the tire rotated. I happened to have to hacksaw, and cut it short, and as I was only about a mile from home, slowly drove it home (somehow it lasted that long), and changed the tire at home/
Nothing like that this time. And, it can't be a belt, because it only makes the noise when the truck is moving. Strange. Anyway, the truck has enough other problems, it's not really cost effective to get it back on the road, if it's gonna take much money to do so. Engine is runs great, so trying to figure out how to use it. Transmission also great, and think the younger son might be wanting to get that for his van. I'd llike to chop the frame at the back of the cab, then make a trailer out of the bed, then scrap the rest. But, before I do any of that, now that I've got my transportation problem solved, I'll have the peace of mind to spend a bit of time seeing if I can find whatever. If I can, and it can be easily (inexpensively) repaired, it'd be a good beater truck for someone, and I'll sell it.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:50:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

hmm... GMC powered mobile band saw? *g*
Have fun with the El Camino, bro.. sounds like a "cool ride"..
Mac
Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 8:17am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) doth sayeth: <snip> Have fun with the El Camino, bro.. sounds like a "cool ride"..
Got it inspected this morning. And spent the rest of the moning, and part of the afternoon, driving around listening to classical music, and the exhaust. Very cool.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

So it's tied to the wheel rpm and not the engine rpm? I know, obvious, but I don't see it in the description.
er
--
email not valid

Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 9:16am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@eruditorum.org (EnochRoot) queries: So it's tied to the wheel rpm and not the engine rpm? I know, obvious, but I don't see it in the description.
Yep, only when moving. And, not 100% of the time. Very confusing.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:11:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

good score! on the old one check the motor mounts. one may be broke or worn out. this will cause the motor when under power to raise a bit and hit the fan hits the shroud. or not! lol
skeez
skeezics wrote:

My sentiments exactly. This does sound like a motor mount problem.     j4
Re: NOT TOO OT - Got Another Wood Hauler Group: rec.woodworking Date: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 12:35pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@mahalo.charter.net (jo4hn) does join in saying: My sentiments exactly. This does sound like a motor mount problem. j4
Well, since two of you are saying it, Ill check it out.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 8:25pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@home.com (skeezics) sayeth: good score! on the old one check the motor mounts. one may be broke or worn out. this will cause the motor when under power to raise a bit and hit the fan hits the shroud. or not! lol
Don't think so, It doesn't do it if the truck is standing still, only when it's moving. Let me know when you're in the area and I'll show you the El Camino. And, listen to it. LOL
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:22:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

i will. sounds like a neat toy! lol...

it wont show till you put it in gear and give it some gas. the tork will raise the motor if the mounts are weak or broken. its a cheep fix too if thats the problem.
skeez
J T wrote:

I would be tied to the motor rpm in that case. And revving.
er
--
email not valid

Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 9:19pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@eruditorum.org (EnochRoot) now sayeth: I would be tied to the motor rpm in that case. And revving.
No. I've already said it's only when the truck is moving. I've tried reving the engine when the truck is at a standstill, and it doesn't make the noise. So, it is not tied to engine RPM.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax