Norm's Lathe101

Page 2 of 2
Sort of like The Router Workshop where, when they have to rout the ends of four boards, and they show *all eight ends* being routed. -Doug

bole2cant wrote:

Ah yes, the HGTV Fill. First we're going to tell you what we're going to do. Then when we get back from commercial we'll re-tell you just in case you forgot. Then we'll start doing what we told you we were going to do with painstaking clarity ("Using a hammer, nails are removed from the studs"). Next we'll break for commercial but when we come back we'll tell you what we were going to do along with what we've done so far...
You get the idea. It's sorta like reading Bill Pentz's Cyclonic Verses.
UA100, one third the way through Cyclonic Verses and thinking maybe the reading of this tome should become a reality series where contestants read and the guy/gurl not ready to shoot their brains out at the end is the winner...

Actually, that's DIY that does that so horribly. People can talk all they want about how wonderful David Marks is, but that very presentation you describe makes the show extremely difficult to watch...unfortunately, like a horrible accident...you can't turn away.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Unisaw A100 wrote:

If you're intent is to provide clear, accurate, complete technical information - motivated by a desire to save someone their lungs - it's extremely difficult to ALSO make it Clancyesque - AND make it all accessible, FOR FREE. Bill has put in an incredible amount of time and money to study up on the industry's testing methods, buy the testing equiptment, set up the tests, run the tests, gather, record and analyze the data . . . With that data and the acquired knoweldge of how and why cyclones do what they do, he's also developed a design that works better than anything that was available to the hobbyist - at an affordable price.
BTW - Mother Teresa wasn't any beauty queen by Vogue standards but I wish there were more people like her around - if only to serve as an example to others of what goodness means.
rant mode off
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

Absolutely no doubt to the word you said charlie b but I'm sitting there plodding along and thinking to myself, "man there's a whole bunch of repetition here" and then I comes upon a passage where Bill states that he'd gone through and edited a whole lot of the repetition out and damned if in the very next sentence he repeats himself about the repetition. ???
Seems that the whole thing could be funneled down into something less than 50 pages. Hell, it would be down to 75 if all he did was go back and remove the passages where he mentions CalOSHA.
Your Mileage May Vary/This isn't a dig at the message, just wishing it wasn't repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
UA100

a good editor is worth her weight in gold...
charlie b:

Start with a print out and a yellow highlighter. Whenever you see something that's been said before, highlight it. That's the stuff you want to 86.
Also, you might suggest that Bill take on a PayPal account and post the link somewhere at the top of the page above the links to the various articles and add a short blurb about up keep for the site. This would allow for editing out the numerous times he mentions how much it has/had cost him.
Don't get me wrong, I think Bill should be made a rich man considering everyone else gets to benefit but damn!
And last but not least, less is more. Especially with writing.
UA100

Something they used to mention, but either they don't any more, or I don't hear it
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Hey, MJ. I remember that. I was there too. I asked an official how much it cost to get him there and he just said, "A lot!". -Doug

personally I really liked it, Just got a lathe for Christmas, and have been trying to learn what I can, like the way to hold the chisel, I was holding it un an underhand manner until I saw him working, and the part on how to make the same peace multiple times was good to
but then again I just started with using a lathe
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

been
That "underhand" business is something I would never have though of, but there are folks that do it. Seems counterintuitive to me.
A - Anchor the tool to the rest.
B - Bevel tangent to the rotating work.
C - Cut a curl by moving the handle for entry.
Worked for the kids. I used to tell them to "English" the "C" on bowls.