Non-Dremel rotary tool.

I'm looking to buy a rotary tool to sand and detail small parts (dense foam and plastic). I've seen some cheaper rotary tools and am considering them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category )528&itemC62455690&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
Here's one I've seen at Target. It has a lot of the grinding bits I would use and a flex shaft and its only $25. Would I be throwing away my money if I bought something like this? Should I go for the Dremel instead? (similar Dremel set would cost $75).
Thanks

From the pic it looks a lot like the one I got as a gift a view years back, branded "Clarke" here in Canuckistan. I've only used it casually but have no complaints.
I also have the Dremel kit, and while I'm sure there are internal quality differences they both work the same.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm curious--some of the Dremel accessories screw onto the front--do they also fit the other brand tool?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I just went and checked.
I've got the flex shaft and the right angle attachements for the Dremel. While the threads on the body fit, the hex nut from the Dremel (that replaces the collet when you add the attachment) does not fit on the Clarke.
On 20 Mar 2005 14:17:59 -0800, the inscrutable "beee"

I picked up one of the $7.95 kits (on sale) at Harbor Freight last month and was surprised at how beefy the teeny little motor was. If you have one local to you, go look. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberA695
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Main reason for ordering it was that I was running out of cheap bits and the ones that come with the 12V kit are pretty good for the price..
Maybe you got the turbo model, Larry, the one I got bogs down if you lean the little sanding drum against anything tougher than air.. lol
OTOH, I've heard that the HF 110v 4 speed one is a pretty good tool....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:25:57 -0800, the inscrutable mac davis

You need to remember that it's not a 3hp router. They're meant for minimal material removal with very light pressure. That said, I feel that it still works even if it slows down to half speed: a full 10k RPM. YMMV.
He's doing foam, fer chrissake. That ought to cut quick and clean.

I haven't seen them. Or try the $90 Griz trim router or the other mfgr who makes those zip tools. But all of those are triple the price or better.
--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.

I sort of compare them all to my old (30 years?) Sears "lil' crafty", their dremel knockoff... it drills holes in whatever I put in front of it, sands, buffs, etc... I think the HF multispeed goes on sale for around $20 to $30 and comes with a pretty good assortment of accessories..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

If you are not going to use it very much, you probably won't notice the difference. But if you plan to use it 15-20 hours a week, I suspect you would be happier with the Dremel. I have a three different units, including one Dremel. For a quick job, any will work. But when I get ready to sit down for a big job, I only pull out the Dremel.
Bob McConnell N2SPP

Have you ever considered anything else? For big projects, I was thinking of Foredom. www.foredom.com