Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

Page 2 of 2

Better to protect your hearing and be more cautious with you power tools than to get into the habit of not making certain that it has come to a complete stop before letting go of it. There are all kinds of noises in the shop that can drown out the sound of a router or circular saw coasting down to a stop. A DC, VAC and or radio can easily cover the sound of a power tool. I learned the hard way to always keep an eye on a power tool until it comes to a dead stop.
Bored Borg wrote:

Yours doesn't have a guard?
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:54:12 +0100, MIKE- wrote

no but it has a chaperone.
Actually I'm "between" C-saws now. Last one I had was pre-owned by Fred Flintstone and was hurled into a skip before it claimed any more lives
.. and Elric's mighty saw Stormbringer drank the souls of all who dared cross its path, shrieking its mournful song...
Bored Borg wrote:

As long as you still have a finger or two to type these gems, you'll be fine. :-)
--

-MIKE-

These noise cancellation devices do not cut out all the noise, mostly the loud noises.
Leon wrote:

I'm very familiar with hearing protection of just about every kind, and the noise canceling aspect has little to do with my concerns. My wife wonders how I can hear the things she hears, when I'm wearing ear plugs. I tell her the plugs don't remove the sounds, they just make them softer. It's only when I add an audio input to the plugs that I don't hear anything from the outside world.
There are things I want to and should hear in the shop. If I'm wearing headphones that are blocking outside sound *AND* adding noise that masks that sound, I'm asking for trouble. IMHO
--

-MIKE-

Snip

Ahhh the playing music in the phones at the same time part, I did not catch that the first time. You bring up a good point with playing music in the head phones. Music in the shop, in the back ground is not such a bother for me, I keep it down so that I cannot hear it when a tool is running.
Leon wrote:

Me, too.
--

-MIKE-

Me, three.
The vacuum cleaner tries to sing along, but it doesn't know the words. The worst part is it tries to sing lead!
Puckdropper
On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:28:59 -0700, the infamous Ralph E Lindberg

I bought the Harbor Freight ANR muffs for shooting, but they work very well in the shop, too. For super muffling, I add a pair of those super spongy foam earplugs inserted backwards. They seal off my ear canal better and I can sleep with them like that without my ear hurting in the morning. That's good for a 50+dB noise reduction.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Hearing protection runs the gamut from crushable foam earplugs to $200 electronic audio isolation devices. Go to your local gun range and see what they are using. Some devices do nothing but stop ALL sound. HF sells adequate items for under $10. I've used them on the range for years. They work fine. The more expensive electronic muffs will stop LOUD noise, but allow for normal conversation. $100-200 is typical. DO NOT buy "sonic" ear valves or other bogus ear plugs with moving "valves" that allegedly stop LOUD noises. I've found them to be expensive and useless. If you do use crushable foam earplugs, get the ones with flat ends (EAR), putting the flat end in your ear. The one's with rounded ends are useless.
I abused my ears for years and know about ear protection. From jet fighter test stands and full afterburner takeoffs in the USAF, to gun ranges and AA fuel dragsters that are so loud they will knock you off your feet and the exhaust concussion will stall your heart, I've experienced it all. You want max protection, wear foam ear plugs under maximum silencing ear muffs. Everything else is a comprimise. As for Bose, it's all junk.
nb

Thank you all for some excellent responses. Much appreciated
jeffgee wrote:

I like Blockade Earbuds ~ $40 from Amazon. They work SO well, I can watch my Shop Vac top get sucked down and hear NO noise! <G>
I have Bose ANR headsets in the plane, and they work at different frequencies, leaning towards low and low-mid frequencies.
Blockades are cool, LIGHT, and easy to clean.
Be cautious on the earbuds - they can blast the ears.
I use a small bore pistol headset. I upgraded to a big bore one for the range - even if I shoot small bore (22lr) the guy next to me is a 45 or so.
They block levels of sound not frequencies. They are fast acting and allow talking to a person or hearing light sounds.
They are battery operated so they cost a bit to run.
Martin