No click Bic drill bit

Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen? An example of the finished project is here:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138
The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost :) .
Thanks, Tom
Check Crafts Supply, Penn State or any of the woodturning tools and supplies outfits - pen turners use what you're looking for - depending on what you mean by Low Cost
A good hardware store has long drill bits. Mcmastercarr also has them. $4-12 each depending on length. Just look for aircraft extension drill bit
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:24:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sears has 12 inch long drill bits in increments of 1/16 diameter from 1/8 up to a half or so, or a set of six--price range is 6-16 bucks depending on diameter, or 60 or so for the set. May have to order them though, they don't seem to be an in stock item at any but the largest stores.
Home Depot and Lowes also usually have some in stock. If no joy there, then try McMaster--they've got bits in a wide range of lengths, diameters, materials, and designs.

Jim Behning wrote:

They have them in 18 inch length, you can cut to the length you need if they have the right size. If you are going to do a lot of them, disregard this message.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Good Luck!, Typically a bit to do this needs to be a better quality bit that can quickly and efficiently remove the debris. Also consider that you need a drill press to make this hole. Your drill press needs to have the travel that is long enough to complete the hole. Also consider that most every pen has brass tubes inside. These tubes must fit over a 7 or 8mm mandrel with the aid of bushings. Almost with out exception the drill bit must be the size of the brass tubes, not the size of the pen workings.

I agree with all but the drill press part, Leon..
I found that they were centered better when I drilled them on the lathe.. I would drill them all the way through and then turn then ON the drill bit with a collet on each end, between centers..
Yeah, I'm lazy, but that way there was a lot less chance of doing the final sanding and breaking through into the hole.. DAMHIKT
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I knew a regulat turner would mention that. ;~)

When I first started turning pens, I drilled them on the lathe.. What a PITA, crank, crank, crank.. Getting a pen drilling vise for the DP made a world of difference..
The challenge on the Bic type pens was having a 6" long hole dead center all the way through the blank, with a very small blank, usually no more than 3/8 x 3/8" or so.. Just less failures by turning them on the drill bit that made the hole, IMO..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Good to know, I'll have to remember that.
Lee Valley has some new drill bits designed for pen makers. They're 6" long. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pE150&catQ&ap=1
Parabolic drills export swarf out of the hole faster and easier.
Interesting point concept also. Martin
Upscale wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:24:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They have 8" length in most small sizes, as I remember, I got the 1/8" for the refill part and 3/16 for the recess?
Made a ton of them.. Ended up using them for Karaoke, since they didn't even sell.. Even when I reduced them to $10.. Some we like the picture, most were "magic wands" or desk pens..
Even in "production" mode, they took about 1/2 hour each..