Nice gloat

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.
Here was the haul.
An entire display of shop vac stuff. 2 1/2" hoses, wands, sweeps, etc...about 25 pieces total - $5.00 15 - 48" piano hinges - $20.00 25 - 36" piano hinges - $35.00 An entire sand paper display unit and paper (the yellow alligator display- about 30 bins total) - $15.00 6 cans of contact cement (the small quart size ones) + a can of the 3M spray adhesive+ a few epoxy mixtures - $5.00 A hugh adhesive display - roughly 10 rolls of double back tape - about 30+ rolls of scotch tape - various other tapes and stuff - $5.00 15 double coat hooks (white and brass) + other hooks and hangers - $10.00 6 big boxes of drywall screws 1"-3" + 1 box of senco 1 1/2" staples - $5.00 An entire safety glasses display w/ 15 glasses + 24 crokies - $30.00 (I have a bad habit of losing glasses or leaving them in the house then go back to the shop - I figure now I can pretty much leave 1 at every machine!) 15 sets of the magnetetic child saftey latches (these go for $10.00 each set) plus about 30+ other child saftey things - $10.00 ( the wife have been bugging me to finish doing the rest of the kitchen w/ them)
And the mommy of the haul and entire display of cabinet hardware, hinges, handles,drawer slides + the display itself - $125.00 The kicker is the entire display was full - picture the knob wall the the local borg - from the really good stuff (there were 3 bins of handles that were 11.99 each - each bin had 10-15 handles in it) to the small wooden knobs and every thing in between. (Ill post pics when I get a chance)
A few things I missed out on (which I was just too cheap to go higher) You know the row in the borg that has all the carriage bolts - hex bolts -etc...they were selling 2 isles of that stuff about 6 rows at a time. prices ranged from 60 bux to about $350 for the grade A stuff.
All in all a great day -Merry xmas to me!!!!
Thanks, Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m (remove the _ to get the address)

snip...
my condolences on the loss of a good hardware store.

Good on ya. Keith
Rob V wrote:

Your suckage has ruined my day. Short of winning the lottery, there's no saving it now.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Where was that Ace? Our local one went out also and we hauled out a load too.
Ours was in Mill Hall PA
James

Angier NC
It was a family business and they decided to move on to something else.

Ours simply fell on hard times with the borgs popping up nearby.
James
P.S. I made some incredible buys! I'll gloat in another post I think. Some is now for sale! I didn't need it all and couldn't let

Rob,
You must live near me in NW Metro Atlanta. Either that or the same thing took place here in my backdoor.

Actually - North Carolina. The place was in Angier - about 30min south of Raleigh.

Do you still have a hardware store? <G>
Barry
I have a little mom and pop shop about 5 mins from me that I still go to. They still beat the borg prices.

In that case, it's a gloat!
You suck! <G>
Barry
Nice haul.
We're losing one in our small town also. Now that you've gloated I'll have to keep my eyes open for the auction.
We had a HD open up and the local hardware store, that was over 80 years old, is closing. I'm miffed because they always knew their stuff, which is more than I can say for the borgs.
RonT
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:20:01 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) wrote:

Pre-Borg we had a hardware store about a mile away called LL Smith and known to some of us at "Lovely Lovely Smith". It was staffed by a bunch of geezers of both sexes in red vests who had been there since time immemorial.
The beauty of the place was that not only did said geezers know their stuff, they were intimately familar with every subdivision in the neighborhood (all 30-40 years old). If you gave them your street address they could tell you who built your house, what kind of stuff had been installed originally and what was likely to fail and how it would fail. That was a RESOURCE!
The owners finally retired, so I can't blame it on souless competition, but there's a Harbor Freight outlet there now and a WalMart going in across the parking lot.
It's still a real loss.
--RC
Our ACE Hardware (in Tiffin, OH) is still going strong. Mostly because locals will have to drive a minimum 20 miles to get to the nearest Borg (in Fremont, OH). Speaking of Ace, check out Ace of Ellenville, NY at toolcorral.com. Very reasonable on shipping costs. Joe

Here, it appears that Ace is taking on the BORGs. They opened another new one and seem to be doing well. Things are a tad more expensive there, but I try to patronize them as often as I can.

Don't you hate it when an Ace goes out of business? Those places are some of the last businesses I know that really exemplify great customer service.
Great gloat, though. It would be even better if it were a Borg store that was going under.

Ace stores are generally locally owned franchises, and vary according to the personality of the owner/managers.
But locally owned and managed hardware stores are a great resource in any community. Recommend them to your friends and neighbors!
Patriarch, a great fan of the Eames' family "Do it Best" store...
I don't know if anyone here lives in my area, Boulder, CO, but we have McGuckin's Hardware here. It is a truly phenominal store for buying hardware among many other things. The store is about as big as a Home Depot but they have about 20x the employees (many retired men) and they're usually tripping over themselves to help you. They are a little more expensive for some things (power tools, for example, but the best selection anywhere) but the service is second to none and they have a great stock. I just found out that a new Home Depot is going in right across the street from them. I hope they can co-exist. It would be a shame to lose such a Boulder icon and an enjoyable place to shop.

Oh, yeah. I live in Fort Collins. I've been to McGuckin's many times. Used to have breakfast at the place next door ("Le Peeps") and then spend about an hour cruising McGuckin's. They are a little more expensive, but they have a fantastic selection and great people.