NiCad battery memory?

Page 2 of 2

this is good adice while not using my home made bike light I charge the cells once a month to keep them from getting too low. the advantage to NiMH cells is that they are lighter for the power they contain. on those bigger packs that can make a difference. so higher amp hours per ounce is a big deal when you get big packs. another advantage to NiMH cells is they die fast so you don't ge a slow rundown on your tool. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
Andy wrote:

Older and cheap NiCads will suffer the memory effect (the correct term is memory effect as they don't actually develop a memory they just show symptoms of it). As NiCads were improved the memory effect was worked on and is pretty much non existant. For example the pair of batteries that came with my 1995 makita drill I almost never fully discharged and they lasted until 2003. NiMH and Lithium ION do last fewer complete discharge cycles, however it takes many partial cycles to make a complete cycle therefore you can top them off many many times, in fact its better to charge them each time you use them rather than waiting for the drill/saw to slow. I still see people fully discharging and recharging their laptop batteries or pulling them out of the laptop and storing them then wonder why they don't last more than a year or two while my always in and topped off last 4-5 years.
[...snip...] I'd always heard that with NiCad batteries, you

Just forget about the NiCAD, uh, something or the other.

snip:

Here's a web site that appears to be knowledgeable on the subject:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
Thunder