New Unisaw on the Way

Page 3 of 3

My gosh, if a person is so anal rententive that they fear tilting one corner of a 500 pound saw with TWO heavy duty 3" angle iron rails might damage it or knock out of adjustment but a couple of millionths of an inch, pehaps you should hire a 6 man moving crew with a crane, just in case...
I've got a great idea, why not wait and tune the saw AFTER it is set in base?
Gary blares:

Actually, these days I do as much of my heavy lifting as possible with a shop (engine) crane. Strikes me that I already spent too many years proving I was something I didn't particularly want to be for people whose opinion I didn't particularly value. Now, I do it the easiest way possible and use the dumbbells for exercise, rather than conversation.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

LOL Only experience and maturity could come up with the above, and fully appreciate it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Sorry Charlie. I'm apparently feeling a little retentive myself today. I had read your post as possibly damaging the rails or something. I agree, caution should be used in lugging this heavy equipment. The savings from not having to feed the neighborhood kids a few pizzas (as someone posted earlier) is not worth a lifetime of suffering from a ruptured disk. Besides you make more friends that way.
Gary
Gary responds:

Yeah. We have a new group of kids. I didn't recognize two of them from my wife's church when they helped us move in a couple months back. Seems to happen every so often, a changing of the guard, as one group goes off to school or elsewhere, while another outgrows droopy drawers and starts wearing real trousers.
Pizza around here is a 22 mile round trip, though.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
$ high school kids was overkill! Two strong back / weak minded types :^) could easily lift it while someone (me in my case!) rolls the base under it.
Grant
Mike Pio wrote:

The saw is a lot easier (lighter) to get up onto the mobile base before the cast iron wings are installed.
Charlie mentions a using a shop crane. I don't know if that's the same thing we used for mine, but the kids down the block who 'tune' Acuras have a mobile hoist to swap engine assemblies. They brought it down, and we did the heavy lifting with that. Of course, WE don't have any basements here...
If you use the table with the wings and extension table to lift/move the saw, be prepared to check alignment frequently (not a bad idea anyway). Leverage and/or mechanical advantage isn't always your friend. My saw moves back and forth across the front of a standard, California two car garage, making room for access to other tools and storage. I end up adjusting things maybe three times a year...
Patriarch
And you can RENT a engine hoist from the local rental center and use that. It's what I did when I had my metal lathe delivered to put the 1000pound lathe onto the base.
John
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:02:47 GMT, patriarch

I moved my saw (same as yours but is an X5) onto the mobile base myself. I weigh in at only 155 pounds so there was a lot of leveraging going on.
Jim

Mike Pio wrote:

I bought a Shop Fox mobile base, assembled it, put it behind the saw, picked up the saw, inched foreward until I could line up the closest two corners, and set the saw down as gently as I could manage.
I weigh about 145 and nothing moved out of alignment. The fit was tight enough that it went in a lot easier than it'll come out. It /was/ enough of a job that I needed a shower afterward. Probably wisest to have friends help.
I would guess that rolling the saw/mobile base over rough concrete might be more inclined to spoil adjustments than a gentle pick-up/set-down.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I have had the saw and a unifence for a few years now, and I also like the unifence. As you note, difficulty in attaching accessories to the fence initially bothered me, but I made up some wooden shims to fit the curved side of the top of the fence so I would have a parallel clamping surface for featherboards, etc. (I don't have any rollers). They took awhile to get just right, but work like a charm. Good luck, you'll grow to appreciate the fence more and more.
snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) wrote in message

"Mutt" wrote in message

I like my unifence, but I like it with the Uni-T-fence even more.
http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm
No affiliation, just a satisfied owner/user.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Jim said:

> > I like my unifence, but I like it with the Uni-T-fence even more.

It is well worth the money in my opinion ... Besides being a jig maker's dream, it effectively combines the benefits of the unifence and the beis, and you can switch in seconds from one to the other and still have precision measured cuts.
There may be another TS fence system with that flexibility, but I am not aware of it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04