New to woodworking--- need advice

I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10" compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer next in the $300 to $350 range. Anyone have suggestions on what I should consider.
gary wrote:

In the $300-$350 price range I'd look at the Grizzly G1182HW 6" jointer. See:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1182HW&&gid81C4D1-D5E2-43C3-99F5-7F4AECE8C858&site=grizzly
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

<<If you want to reduce your level of frustration and aggravation>>
On this note of frustration and aggravation, I suggest you scrap the 30 year old Craftsman router and buy one of the PC, Bosch, etc route kits with fixed/plunge bases.
Mike, that's my thinking. Maybe use the old router as a fixed mount application.
Thanks, for the suggestion, but I already play golf. Love the game, but need other interest.

Isn't the goal to shoot your age? I've been able to shoot my weight.

Hah! I can shoot half my weight!
Neener neener!

Perhaps the most sage advice I have seen given here is "let the project dictate the tools" and that "there will always be some compromise between cost and quality" of the tools you choose. Do Google searches for the <insert tool name or BLURFL here> and read a while. Then narrow the field to considering this one or that one and come back to the Wreck to pick their collective minds... Majority rules. When you have a job requiring a good router, replace the one you have (as another suggested). Decide on what type of jobs you'll do and acquire the tools as needed for that type of work (don't get a sledge to drive finish nails). Tom
gary wrote:

Yorkcraft, from Wile Machinery, particularly if you are in driving distance of York, PA and can avoid the shipping charge.
Jim Kirby
--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research
James T. Kirby wrote:

Blah, I meant Wilke Machnery, http://www.wilkemachinery.com , sorry for the misdirection.
Jim Kirby
--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

retired 30 years earlier... so congradulations... BUT: Honestly I would spend not add a single tool to your shop YET...
Not knowing exactly what you intend to do (you may not either) I would just tell you to spend a few hundred bucks on lumber...and go out and start creating sawdust.... Sooner then later you will find out just what tools you NEED ...
When you find a NEED (not want) for a tool then go out and buy it...
All MY NEEDS are taklen care of....and have been for years.. MY WANTS on the other hand will never be satisfied...
Bob G
Bob G. wrote:

Dust collection. If you're retired, and planning to face machines spewing sawdust, then get dust protection BIG TIME.
But I'm gravitating more towards hand tools. I'd see about some planes and scrapers.

Good advice, Bob! A friend went to a shrink once after a divorce... he was told to come back next time with 2 lists: needs & wants... He started to read off "needs" like a stereo, car, etc.. and the shrink said something like "no, I want you to say each thing loud, while banging on my desk" he was supposed to say "I need this ___________ and demand to have it"... He said that about 90% of his needs got transferred to the want page...
Back OT, I think that from my experience and what I read here, you buy a tool when you're going to start a project and it would be easier and better to have that tool.. Most folks that have a decent table and miter saw have little use for a bandsaw... take up bowl turning or something that requires a lot of rounded corners and things, and you suddenly have to have one...
If you do a few flat wood projects, you'll probably want to build or buy a table for your router... opens a whole new world for you... (which in wRECk terms means many opportunities to spend money)
As the addiction evolves, you find that better tools make better project results and leads to more complicated and expensive projects.. this, of course, leads to more complicated and expensive tools...
welcome to the sawdust production world!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing