new shop update

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:02:22 -0500, basilisk

Have you played with any setups to determine tool location? I'm thinking of something like the Grizzly workshop planner.

Dave

My table saw is a '54-56 era Delta contractors saw. I replaced the fence with 30" Delta T-square fence I bought on sale at Lowe's. I'm real happy with it. I grew up with a delta unisaw from same era, and I would not trade my contractors saw for that cabinet saw because my own cabinet is 100 times nicer and more functional than the unisaw cabinet.

I built my own rolling cabinet with dust collection, and on the same cabinet is my jointer. The jointer fence is the exact height of the saw table. Along the entire 24 foot back wall of my shop I have a work table that is also the exact height of my saw table and jointer fence, and work bench, so I have plenty of support for long pieces on my saw, but I really like my jointer right next to the saw and the jointer fence supporting most work on the left side of the saw.

Under the 24' work table I have my air compressor and cabinets and shelves to store stuff. The adjacent wall I have my lathe, grinder, scroll saw, drill press and band saw. These all fit nicely against a wall, leaving plenty of space for my disk belt sander, planer, shaper and router table.

Here's a couple of pictures, perhaps they could spark some shop ideas.

yeah, I really, really like this wood storage rack.

holds a bunch of ply, lumber, and cut offs. Plans are everywhere on the net. I wish I would have built it 40 years ago. Much, much better than standard overhead storage, and takes up less space than I would have thought.

It sits perpendicular between the saw and the shop doors so I can load it easily, and get to the lumber with ease for cutting. It's on wheels but is so damn heavy it's a bear to move, it really needs steel wheels.

Reply to
Jack

looks interesting.

I'm not going to make the locations of the machines permanent, at least not until I get a permanently installed dust collector.

I'm fortunate that I don't really need a dust "collector", but rather a large blower, sawdust and shavings can go in the woods directly behind the shop with no one but me being the wiser, it will all remain on my property so no harm no foul.

I have a good idea where the machinery will be for good work flow.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

green material and short production runs, where set up time isn't a factor. I never could force myself to buy a really nice fence for so little saw but looking back I should have done it years ago.

will be stored in the barn. Providing I can keep the wood boring bumblebees out of it, I may have to install some sacraficial poplar anodes for them. :)

I plan to keep sheet goods in the new shop and am pondering a lift to elevate a flat storage platform over head. Complete with saftey chains, don't need ton of plywood landing on me. (on second thought, with that written down it just looks like a recipe for disastor)

For sure less space than having it scattered all over.

One roll up door will be perpendicular to my mitre saw setup to allow material breakdown to lenght as it is unloaded.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

basilisk wrote in news:193uu30kqgps9$.5par0oyde11k$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

I started out with the Grizzly shop planner, and eventually moved over to Sketchup to get a good feel of how everything works. My shop is pretty much arranged how the winning plan worked out, and I'm happy with it. It was worth the time to set all this stuff up.

If you get in to Sketchup, be sure to check out the library for your various tools. Not all of them will be on there, but in my case about half of them were. If the tool wasn't in there, I just found something similar.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper