new shop update

Page 2 of 2
On 8/20/2012 8:02 AM, basilisk wrote:

My table saw is a '54-56 era Delta contractors saw. I replaced the fence with 30" Delta T-square fence I bought on sale at Lowe's. I'm real happy with it. I grew up with a delta unisaw from same era, and I would not trade my contractors saw for that cabinet saw because my own cabinet is 100 times nicer and more functional than the unisaw cabinet.
I built my own rolling cabinet with dust collection, and on the same cabinet is my jointer. The jointer fence is the exact height of the saw table. Along the entire 24 foot back wall of my shop I have a work table that is also the exact height of my saw table and jointer fence, and work bench, so I have plenty of support for long pieces on my saw, but I really like my jointer right next to the saw and the jointer fence supporting most work on the left side of the saw.
Under the 24' work table I have my air compressor and cabinets and shelves to store stuff. The adjacent wall I have my lathe, grinder, scroll saw, drill press and band saw. These all fit nicely against a wall, leaving plenty of space for my disk belt sander, planer, shaper and router table.
Here's a couple of pictures, perhaps they could spark some shop ideas.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench3.jpg
Oh, yeah, I really, really like this wood storage rack.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg
It holds a bunch of ply, lumber, and cut offs. Plans are everywhere on the net. I wish I would have built it 40 years ago. Much, much better than standard overhead storage, and takes up less space than I would have thought.
It sits perpendicular between the saw and the shop doors so I can load it easily, and get to the lumber with ease for cutting. It's on wheels but is so damn heavy it's a bear to move, it really needs steel wheels.
--
Jack
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:44:26 -0400, Jack wrote:

Nice, I'm going to keep the delta ts I have now and use it for green material and short production runs, where set up time isn't a factor. I never could force myself to buy a really nice fence for so little saw but looking back I should have done it years ago.

That would be very useful for shorts, the bulk lumber will be stored in the barn. Providing I can keep the wood boring bumblebees out of it, I may have to install some sacraficial poplar anodes for them. :)
I plan to keep sheet goods in the new shop and am pondering a lift to elevate a flat storage platform over head. Complete with saftey chains, don't need ton of plywood landing on me. (on second thought, with that written down it just looks like a recipe for disastor)

For sure less space than having it scattered all over.

One roll up door will be perpendicular to my mitre saw setup to allow material breakdown to lenght as it is unloaded.
basilisk
What's rain?

It's this odd weather condition that other places have. Apparently, water falls out of the sky! I don't believe it myself, I think those people who talk about it have never heard of Chicken Little.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

--------------------------------------------- It's that wet stuff that falls out of the sky in Northern California, hits the ground, then is collected and pumped to Southern California where it gets used.
Lew