New Porter Cable Dovetail Jig

I've been intriqued by this new jig and looked one over and really liked what I saw. Since someone was already interested in my old 4112, I sold it and bought the 4212 looking forward to through and sliding dovetails.
Got the box home and really like the bulk of it but there are some things I should clear up of which I was mistaken in my assumptions. The through dovetail template is fixed, not adjustable. However the worst thing and the thing that really ticks me off is it calls for a 17/32" 7 degree dovetail bit. While one came with it, it looks like it's propretary and I'm stuck with PC bits - when they finally distribute them.
The half blind template is based a 3/4" guide bushing as opposed to the 5/8" of the 4112. I tried a 1/2" x 1/2" 8 degree and my old 14 degree 1/2 bit. Neither worked. I wont take it back because I'd just have to wind up buying another 4112 but I sure hope someone starts producing 17/32 7 degree bits so I'm not stuck having to buy PC bits. Lost a little respect for them on this one - I think the Omnijig will survive afterall Leon - good.
Don
Sorry about your misfortune, but having bought an omnijig last month...

last monty for $252; and go wrong at that price.

I am not familiar with your new jig but I have the Leigh jig. Leigh sells several DT bits for through DT's that are all the same angle. They do differ in cutting depth and naturally cut wider as they cut deeper. The different length DT bits are for different thickness boards and for different appearances. Therefore the length and diameter "may not" be critical depending on the thickness of wood you are using with you new jig.. That said, Infinity sells several 7 degree DT bits.
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept 17
Thanks Leon, I'll look into that. I see that MLCS has a 9/16" 7 degree which is just a tad wider than the PC bit but angle is the same - I tend to agree with you providing the angles are the same - we'll see.
Don

I bought the set from Lee Valley for the Leigh jig, and there ARE different angles to a couple of the bits.

Thanks for clarifying Larry. Is your set for all DT's including Blind DT's? If so that would explain the different angles in the set. IIRC the through DT's all use the same angle bit. That angle compliments the angles on the jig tail fingers. With the Blind DT set up the cuts all go straight in when cutting both the tails and pins. When cutting through DT's the tails are cut with the DT bit and the pins are cut with a straight bit that is guided by the tail fingers that guide the bit at the same angle that the DT bit is manufactured at. Clear as mud? LOL
D. J. Dorn wrote:

i don't know the jig, but for half-blind I would think you can use any bit since you only use the dovetail bit to cut both pin and tail pieces. Fit is determined by the depth of the bit.
Depth of the cut in't the issue but I tried the old tried and true 14 degree 1/2" bit. What happened was that if you use the 3/4" collar which is necessary for the template, the pins come out way to large. If you use that bit with the old 5/8" collar, the tails are much too large for the pins. I'm going to find a compriable bit if it kills me.
Don