New Planer

Page 2 of 2

Probably Northfield. http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/Brochures-PDF/Num2PlanerSurfacer.pdf
Their cheap No.2, 18" surfacer goes for over $16,000.00. the current next size up is 25" and for about $25,000.00.
I think their stuff is built to last forever in a factory setting.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/pricelist/pricelist-2007.pdf
Leon wrote:

For the price I seriously doubt it was Northfield. More likely one of the North State something like
<http://www.leneavesupply.com/Machinery/NorthState/P04027.aspx
would be my guess.

For Jack's sake I hope you are right. LOL
Leon wrote:

Leon had me in a panic for a sec. but I recall looking up the price and it was no where near the price of a Northfield... I think it was around $5000 new, but thats a vague recollection. It did look a lot like the Northstate 20" planer so my guess is thats exactly what it was. It looked like a great planer to me, but like so many great deals, I just let it go bye...instead of buy... I think it weighed over 400 lbs so it would have been tough getting it on and off my truck in one piece... yeah, thats why I passed it up.
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote: ...

I hear ya'... :) (or, :( maybe is more apropos)
I posted in another similar thread not long ago of the chance years ago to pick up the Powermatic Model 180 18" planer for $800 from shop when upgraded and have been kicking self/regretting decision ever since...

I just bought the Ridgid R4330 on sale 200 off. Ran about 20 feet of board through it seems nice so far

LOL, did you think that there could possibly be any other out come after only 20'? Get back with us after say a few thousand linear feet.
Now having said all that I originally bought a Ryobi AP10 planer in 1989 IIRC, it was the first of it's kind. I finally retired it 3 years ago and got a 15" stationary Delta. If I were to buy a portable again, I'd get the one you bought. You simply can't beat the warranty.
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:35:54 GMT, "CC"

I see the Dewalt DW735 reconditioned on Tool King fairly often for around $440. Last time I almost bit it was $435 with $9 shipping. I do see that it is out of stock at the moment.
Dave Hall