New Planer

Page 1 of 2
I am getting ready to buy a new planer, first one Have been looking at all the reviews I can find along with Google searches and would like any comments from the group about the Delta 22-580 and the DeWalt 735 The Delta I can find for $475 with shipping and the DeWalt is $650 shipping extra.The Delta seems to have problems with wearing really fast, The DeWalt seems to have it's problems fixed. or at least from what I am reading now, Both seem work well Is the DeWalt worth the extra money, and is it hold up better than the Delta Any thoughts appreciated CC
For benchtop planers the 735 is the gold standard (IMNSHO). I am no fan of Dewalt generally but on this unit they nailed it.

I bought the 22-580 and I am very pleased with it. The lock-down anti- snipe feature works well and the unit has tons of power (for a 'portable'). The dust chute is very effective as well. With a fresh set of properly sharpened blades, and on the 'finish' setting, bird's- eye maple came out pretty smooth. It is too heavy to be called portable, really, so if you're thinking of stashing it under the work-bench and casually flipping it on top...think again. The limited experience I have had with the DeWalt at a buddy's shop, it worked fine, but nothing stood out as desirable over the 580. I would buy the Delta again.
my 2 cents worth.
That's good news. I haven't had a chance to try that unit and I like to see Delta is making good stuff.

Robatoy wrote:

It's about 90lbs. Not impossible to move, but not something you'd do "casually".
Chris

I bought the 22-580 and I am very pleased with it. The lock-down anti- snipe feature works well and the unit has tons of power (for a 'portable'). The dust chute is very effective as well. With a fresh set of properly sharpened blades, and on the 'finish' setting, bird's- eye maple came out pretty smooth. It is too heavy to be called portable, really, so if you're thinking of stashing it under the work-bench and casually flipping it on top...think again. The limited experience I have had with the DeWalt at a buddy's shop, it worked fine, but nothing stood out as desirable over the 580. I would buy the Delta again.
my 2 cents worth.
For the price, I'd rather have the Delta, but not if it's not going to hold up How long have you had yours? and how well has it held up. I had really thought about the Delta, but had read a lot recent of reviews saying the machine was not holding up very well over a year of use There were problems with the DeWalt when it first came out but the newer writings I found on it indicates their problems have been fixed. CC

I've seen the DeWalt 735's at Lowe's for about $650, so if you've got one around it might be worth a look.
I'm planning on buying the 735 when I get a planer, but a dust collector w/ cyclone and high CFM air compressor will probably come first.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
CC wrote: ...

Looks like if you decide on the Delta to go ahead and do so would be wise -- it seems to be discontinued w/ only the TP305 on the current PC web site. Which seems to be a step backwards as it is listed as 12-1/2", not 13".
I really don't have any recommendations on the portables; I'm still using the old Rockwell Delta Model 13...(and _STILL_ kicking myself I didn't buy the PM 180 from my buddy in Lynchburg when we moved up to the big boy years ago--but $800 seemed like a lot of $$$ back then!).
Why not go ahead and get the real thing for a couple hundred more ???
Those lunch bucket planers do a neat job but are not built for the long haul.
I have both and when you step up to the cast iron, you don't ever wonder why you spent the extra money.
Delta,Powermatic,Jet and Grizzly all have very similar products. I think most of them are built in the same plant in China.
CC wrote:

I'd love to be able to get one of the floor units, but the cost of them is beyond me. The DeWalt will be the max I can go and am more comfortable with the price of the Delta. I do want something better than the Ryobi and Ridgid TP1300 CC

I have both the Delta DC-380 15" and the 22-560 12 1/2" planer.
The 22-560 has just about wore out the rollers. They can not be replaced since the planer is out of production.
It has seen a several thousand linear feet of lumber. It has a very clean cut but it's still a fairly light weight planer.
If you can't afford the 15" Grizzly, get the better version of the Delta in my opinion.
CC wrote:

Do yourself a favor and buy a DeWalt DW733. Only two knives, but the knives on the 733 can be sharpened. On the 735 they can't.
There's a new one for sale right now on eBay.
I've had this model for a long time now and I love it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a DeWalt DW733. Only two knives, but the knives on the 733 can be sharpened. On the 735 they can't.
There's a new one for sale right now on eBay.
I've had this model for a long time now and I love it.
Thanks Gus, I was watching a Delta on ebay but it went over what I wanted to spend on a used one. I'll watch that one for a bit to see how far it goes up, but am not sure if I want that model CC
wrote in wrote in message

I bought the 733 floor model at Woodcraft when the 735 came out, for about 250. I have no idea how many board feet I've run through it any more but I've had both sets of blades sharpened and had to bring it in for repair once. Found out I've got an authorized shop here in town and they found a loose connection in the motor assembly, resoldered it(!) and charged me fifty bucks.
I love this little planer, plastic vacuum port and all.

Something to think about, That is a LOT of money for a lunch box planer, the DeWalt.. For $300 more you can get a Grizzley 15" stationary planer, built in mobility, and under mount motor shipped for free and that planer would probably be the only planer you will ever need to buy.
http://grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

Thanks Leon, I looked at the grizzleys and would love one, but it is beyond what I can spend, The DeWalt is right at that point too, and is stretching it a little but I am worried about how the Delta is holding up over time for people CC
I bought a Delta 22-580 in June of '04. I'm on my third set of double sided knives. No complaints and no problems..

Thanks Jim, that is great to hear, I had really wanted to get the Delta, as it was right in my price range. but hadn't heard too much about how it was holding up, other than old reviews, CC

I got the Delta about 3 years ago, and have used it quite a lot over the past 2 years. I reversed the blades once, not hard, and it does a good job. It needs a good vacuuming now and then, as excess shavings can plug the speed selector. The "funnell" that collects to the dust collector works "OK", but not 100%. I have it mounted on a dedicated table as I don't consider it portable. I would buy another one if needed.
Hope this helps.....
CC wrote:

You might want to look at http://toolcritic.com/12-13in-planers.html .
From this it looks like the Dewalt comes in first, which most here seemed to recommend as well. The Delta came in I think 8th. My guess is they are both very close because everyone here seems to like what they have.
Myself, I don't own a planer but a few months ago I was perusing Craigs list locally and their was a 20" Northsomething industrial planer with a 5 hp 220 motor, 5 years old for $1000... I wanted it but didn't go for it and it has been bothering me ever since...The same place had other stuff for sale so obviously they were going out of business...
--
Jack