New plane design (another one) featuring Karl Holtey Brass work

You thought this was an April fools joke? Well guess what its not.
I had a long phone call From Karl Holtey a few weeks ago. It is really nice to know he is just a normal guy a fellow plane maker. He does not get rich making planes though he makes a living unlike me (G)
But anyway he sent me this screw cap and I put it to use. It just drops in and is held with the bar. I have wanted to do this style of plane for a long time but I just never approached a machinist to do the work.
Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new sliding mouth and new slotted washer too. This is a great little plane and I wish I could keep it. The heft is really nice and it adjusts well. Right now I dont know the cost as Karl never told me the cost for the brass work.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/ebonyandcocoboloscrewcap1.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/ebonyandcocoboloscrewcap2.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/ebonyandcocoboloscrewcap3.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/ebonyandcocoboloscrewcap4.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/ebonyandcocoboloscrewcap5.JPG
or use this link for easy viewing.
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/critiques.pl?noframes ;read3
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

Good art! (Much too pretty to be just a tool.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

no still a tool (G) it feels good in the hand see that makes it a tool (G) you see art stamped on my forehead??? (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

ITYKWIM. Keep on grinning - you've earned it.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

the screw cap is wedged under a 3/16" brass bar. it is removable as it just slides under the bar. I like that better then a non removable one.

that's for sure. a good combo I think of stainless and brass for other planes.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

[severely snipperized]
Probably the best example of form following function that I have seen in eons. Morris is right... it's art. Cordless as well.
Superb.
Rob

I guess if I don't try for that maybe I get there. I sure am no artist. I have three left thumbs sometimes. I cut two of them installing that jointer head (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Did you get a spiral jointer head? Do tell, with the exotics you work..

yes and it sure helps. tropicals don't tearout as much as domestics but they dull the knives far faster.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

When tools are well thought out, they look like they do because they have to look that way. When the purpose is met, the art surfaces. The state of the art. The art of plane/tool-making. You select the materials to look right to you. You finish your work to feel right to you. You don't have to do that, but you do. A vision turned into a goal into a finished .....art piece.
'tis purty, Steve!
Dave
Steve Knight wrote:

That is a substantial design Steve, It looks really rigid and that it will last. Very solid. You might consider asking http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/ about production screw caps, may be less cost and keep the price down.
Sorry I didn't answer your email previously, you offered me to be a beta tester for the T&G set, but I have no experience that far into planing, and have no useable shop set up with which to do anything yet. Kind offer though, no doubt. Still building my 1st bench.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

So when can I buy one? Since it's not a joke, and you claim it's not art, I assume you want to put it into production.
Patriarch

as soon as I get more screw caps. I hope it won't take long.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes