New Kreg Pocket Hole Jig The K3

Page 2 of 2

Any chance there's allowance somewhere for screws to pull them into place?
"Upscale" wrote

I don't think that's the case, as the screw holes in the slide are fully accessible when the slide is mounted in the jig ... and one thing us anal retentive's are always on the lookout for is that telltale movement from an off-center mounting screw, be it drawer slide or hinge.
I really don't have a dog in the fight, not going to argue with the OP, or lose any sleep over whether the jig is poorly designed/made by Kreg, but I just happened to remember the thread as I was finishing up that cabinet today and decided to throw in my current experience/observation with the jig in question, FWIW.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Agree with you there. If there's nothing that burns my butt more, then it's a properly centred screw that pulls everything out of alignment. Happened to me once with some drawer slides I bought. Turns out the slides had too much paint adhering to one side of the screw holes. Had to go over them all lightly with a counter sink. Last time I bought no-name drawer slides.

They did NOT work for me with ball bearing slides, which infuriatingly tipped like a sliding pond. I think the jig is a great idea badly under engineered. You would think Kreg would not play fast and loose with a basically good reputation deservedly earned on its pocket jigs.

<snip>

A agree. I won't be purchasing this tool until that handle points in another direction. Don't manufacturers test their new-fangled tools anymore?

Yes. That would be a problem for me considering I'd be operating the jig from a sitting position. I think it would have been better to have designed the jig so that it locks by pulling the handle down 90 with the handle in locked position pointing down to the floor.
Upscale wrote:

before it went into production. I see the same sort of shortsightedness of design from other small woodworking tool companies. I'm sure they turn a profit and laugh all the way to the bank, but it would be nice if they showed off their latest creation to a 3rd party for comments and suggestions before putting the item "out there".
Even LV has produced some poor designs and I have no idea who they show their new tools to before production. Luckily for us, they make plenty of super nice tools to more than make up for the occasional clunker. Wouldn't it be nice though, if everyone who bought last year's honing guide got a credit towards the purchase of the MKII?
Dave

"Believe it or not - we discussed that here, but the only way we could do it, would be to pad the price so we'd have room to discount it."

The solution would be obvious. When something new comes out on the market, wait a little while and look at user comments before buying one. Of course, not knowing that there's going to be a much better product out in near future, (like the LV MK II), abrogates that sentiment a bit. But, by far a large, it seems the sensible thing to do. Even so, the MK I is not a completely useless sharpening jig.