New hand plane refurb site

I was looking for options to replace the tote on my Stanley #8. I ran across a website for a retired guy right in my area that provides replica handles and totes at reasonable prices. He also refurbs planes using all the usual processes but he also offers a service to complete re-do the Japaning using original Stanley chemistry. If you are interested in taking an old plane and putting in back in first class user shape and making it pretty, check this out. He has pictures of some of his work online and its outstanding.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mike_in_katy/PlaneWood/Default.htm
Bob Davis Houston, Texas

I can't get that link to work. It just sits there.

Works for me.

he just uses this stuff http://www.libertyonthehudson.com/pontypool.htm and bakes it on once @300 when it's supposed baked about 3 or 4 times at 3 or 4 different temuratures between coolings. But definitely a nicely priced resource for at least that and nice totes and knobs.
Alex

That particular japan isn't recommended to be stoved at all (this isn't unusual for tinned formulations). Usually this is caused by a high volatiles content to make it "tin friendly". If you bake these in one go, then there's a risk of bubbles appearing in the surface.
Original Pontypool japan should just be stoved once, but Stanley had a different recipe and did a series of low temperature bakes to get the volatiles out first before cooking it properly.
--
Smert' spamionam

I have used Mike for several planes in various states of need. He has done great work, prices are fine, turnaround time is impressive and communication is enjoyable, in my opinion.

he makes my totes and does a great job. I bet all of his work is good.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes