Need to stain cherry to dark cherry

Page 2 of 2

Buckeye, AKA: Worthless Nut.

People have been known to make a living on 80 acres, not easy, but it can be done.
There is a major Amish community in Wayne County which translates into farming and white oak furniture.
Before the advent of irrigation in California, Wayne County was the 2nd richest agricultrial county in the US, right behind Lancaster County, another major Amish community.
There is a LOT of veery old, very moldy money in Wooster, but you would never know it.
When I left, it was a town of about 15,000 with at least a dozen known millionaires, and that was the late 50's.

I know.

Around Wayne County, probably find as many Zimmermans as Smiths, maybe more.;

Yep.
Rings a bell, but I don't know why.
How old is he?
Did he go to Wooster High school?
Lew

When I first met him about 25 years ago, I thought he was kidding when he told me that was their state nut. You can't eat it, cook with it, or do anything else with it. So why is it the state nut? No one seems to know how that came about.

I believe Gary's Dad and Mom both went to Wooster High, graduating in the late 30s, but I am not sure. His Dad would be somewhere along the late 80s now, so that would put him through his grades.
But his sons are both in their mid - late 50s. Gary and Ken both graduated sometime in the 60s, and they both went to WH.
Robert

That's sort of what I figured, I left Wooster to seek my fortune in 55 so that puts me in the middle of the generations.
Lew

Still... it's a small world sometimes, eh?
Robert

Most of the really dark cherry that I have used was steamed.
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:56:50 -0400, "CraigT"

I hate to finish, have never been good at it, complete the building a piece of furniture and dread "ruining" it by finishing. Just this weekend, I used the Thermawood/Valspar finish schedule for Old English Cherry. It came out beautiful.
Saw some sample pieces at their booth at IWF several years ago and always wanted to try it. So I did.
Down side is it is complicated and expensive. You may not want to consider it for a single shelf set. I'm doing a whole bedroom.
Complicated in that their are eleven steps and the schedule contains nine unique liquids, six for coloring, aging and accent, three for sealing and topping. It is lacquer based, so at least the dry time is very short. Took me two six hour sessions to do three pieces of furniture.
Mine still not quite as good as I remember the samples but the best I've ever done. Difference probably due to pro's doing the samples with better spray equipment, particularly final lacquer top coat and my reluctance to be too aggressive with some of the accenting steps that impart age.
Frank