Need to hire woodworker

Hey all--been gone a long time, thanks to craziness at work.
Also thanks to craziness at work, I've been forced to admit that I do not have the time to do a project that really needs doing. I'd love to hone my skills and do the work myself, but the wife's keen to have it done soon-- like by spring, and if it's up to me, it would be more like 2 years or something.
So I need to hire a woodworker.
Where I am: Silver Spring, MD--this is right on the border with Washington DC.
What I need: New (ostensibly custom) stairway railing, bottom step/landing, spindles and newel post--making and installing. There might be a little trim work involved too, but nothing major. The railing and newel post are the real corkers. We have some ideas for what they should look like, but are open to suggestions in the craftsman/F.L. Wright/mission styles. As currently envisioned, the newel post will practically be furniture--frame and panel-look.
Anybody know someone reliable who can build/install this stuff? I'll be doing some phone book searches too, but it can't hurt to start with a recommendation. If anyone needs to discuss this off-list, I'm at bikeboy (at) mindspring (dot) com.
Hey there Bikeboy, Would like to help but Do not live in Gaithersburg anymore Moved to AZ 9 years ago,
I know some Cabinet Shops in your Area but its not a Cabinet Makers Job for what you are describing, There are A few Shops in Your area that do nothing But stairways and that is what you would be looking for. . This is a field all unto itself. If you Still want to accomplish it yourself you can most all the parts you need, If You have a curved Railing thats where you will be in trouble, Deep world of shit trouble.
If you can't find a stairway fabricater let me know and I'll make a few calls to some of my old Clients to get thename of a company that I know does nothing but stairways and they are good.
Good Luck, George

step/landing,
trim
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:12:29 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

you could check with Tom Plamann (sp?) about that. I saw his site when it had everything on how to do it posted. I don't know where Tom lives though.

Thanks George and Lazarus--I actually found a surprisingly large number of listings for woodworkers in the yellow pages. Who knew? I'm going to spend some time calling numbers and checking references. We'll see what comes of it.
And no, the railing is not curved. It's not even very long.

tom watson from the wreck is in pa
When You get down to the last Couple of Shops that you get Interested in, Send me the names and see if they refresh my memory as to whether they are good or bad
Good Luck George
By the way I did work in your area for over 28 years with a reputation 2nd to none. 75 % of my Residential Customers are In Potomac.

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:16:37 -0500, Lazarus Long

Tom's up in wisconsin,,bit of a drive to DC
Traves
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Bob S.
Recommend you call Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield VA. They will know good finish carpenters in the DC area.
montyhp

step/landing,
trim
snip Montyhp wrote:

That phone number is 703-451-9217 7:30-5P weekdays 9-5 weekends. Good people, great wood, not cheap except the $1 bin(too bad).
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Thanks to everyone so far. Colonial recommended somebody, but as is usually the case with sole-proprietorships, I had to leave a message. More when I know more.