Need recommendation on a book on planes

My grandfather gave me several planes that his father had used and a couple that he knew that HIS grandfather had used. After cleaning them up and sharpening the blades (amazing how little some of that old iron rusts) I have the "normal" planes (adjustment knob and blade mounted to an iron plate which is mounted to a piece of wood) working ok, but I don't have a clue how to referbish or even use the old wood planes.

Can anyone recommend a decent book on the use/care/restoration of planes?

Although I haven't given up on my power tools by any means, I have found that I am enjoying using a nice sharp plane for some tasks. Who knew those things were more than pretty shop nick-nacks ;)

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

How about the Hand Plane book by Garret Hack.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

course, you could also get a book.

Reply to
George

Several planes? Damn, you are lucky. All I ever got was a ride in a Piper Tri-Pacer and a J-3. Never got to own a single plane let alone be left several of them. . Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Me neither. A Beechcraft Siera once, and a Beechcraft Sundowner I think.

Oh well. I couldn't afford the insurance or av-gas anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

Assuming that this isn't a troll, or a drive-by. That metal bodied planes were you left. Take a look at

and try matching them to pictures if you don't know much about planes, although if you've got them sharpened up and working properly it would seem that you do. Regardless, congratulations on the heirlooms and keeping them in the family, and working.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Bob, I had seen some positive reviews of this book, but it didn't look like there was much on the USE of planes and how to use the various types of planes. Of course I was only looking at the screen shots on Amazon.

Does the book cover this?

Thanks, jim "RWM" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Jim

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:D%1%b.4498$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

Well that is EXACTLY the problem Ed. There are several and for the life of me I can't figure out where to attach the wings or even sit! I have to admit it is kind of fun sitting on them and yelling CLEAR but it isn't all that productive....and my kids keep giving me funny looks.

Reply to
Jim

dave in fairfax wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com:

Certainly not a troll! I did look up the planes. None of the wooden planes appear to be worth much and the metal bodied plane didn't look to be too prized either. I think they were all extremely common in the day.

Of course since they have been in the family so long, I'm kind of glad they aren't worth much. Doesn't even tempt me into selling them! My main goal is to put them back into proper working order and figure out the proper way to use them. Given the limited knowledge I have right now I already like them but, in general, I like using a tool the right way better.

Reply to
Jim

Jim asks:

Sure does. Chapter 5 covers techniques.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michael Dunbar's _Restoring, Tuning and Using Classic Woodworking Tools_. Hack's book and Patrick's website are better sources of info on the various types of planes, but Dunbar is probably better on the nuts-and-bolts of getting the things to work.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

the thing is to hand them off to your kids in better shape than you got them.

wood bodied and transitional planes work just fine. the whisper thin curlies that come off of a well tuned plane don't care what age or body the plane is.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Jim,

Lately I've been impressed by David Finck's book, Making and Mastering Wood Planes. It's now out of print, but most libraries can get a copy through Interlibrary Loan.

Regards, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

I agree. Most resources concentrate on tuning Bailey style planes but Dunbar's book devotes a large section to tuning and using wooden planes (both bench and specialty). He also spends time on the iron planes so you get help with that as well.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks chuck/mike/charlie! I think I'll buy both.

Jim

half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Jim