need recommendation

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L. None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by personal experience.
tia,
jc
Joe said:

Number of holes isn't particularly important, but I, too, prefer H&L. I bought a Ryobi on sale a few years ago because I thought I wouldn't use it much. It died within a month. I repaired it (cheap wire and poor quality electrical clips on the field winding internally.) I had to convert to H&L from PSA. Makes your hand go numb pretty quick.
Now a PC 333VS. Other than the custom sized dust hose, it's OK. Had a sterling reputation, but like all B&D products these days, the new ones are of Mexican/Chinese origin and seem to be garnering complaints about bearing and pad failures. The Dewalt looks good on paper and in the hand, but no personal experience. It is also B&D, so my next sander may end up being a Makita or Metabo.
FWIW,
Greg G.
I also have a 333VS and like it a lot. I bought the dust hose ($16 IIRC) and it also fits my PC Plate Joiner and PC circular saw. It reduces the escaping dust to near zero on the ROS and by about 90% on the CS.
Whichever mfg you choose I recommend getting variable speed as it makes sanding edges and corners less prone to oversanding. Art
"Greg G." wrote [snip]

Greg G. wrote:

This isn't directly related to the 333, but I've found that keeping a few precut inner tube and denim scraps near the hose can help fit anything.
Make the scraps ~ 2 1/2" x 4", wrap them around the inner part, and plug it in. The denim scrap adds bulk when needed.

I have a DW, VS, H&L, 5", 8H. Works great even the dust collection in the little bag and it came with a spare gasket that I guess wears out eventually. The only complaint is you need to wear a glove in cold weather because the cooling fan blows out around the sides of the top.
PC is giving them away right now when you buy a bigger tool although that promotion may be over now. Check the Borgs.
I too have the DeWalt. It's worked well and I would buy it again. I use it attached to a shop vac and that really makes a difference. I also have a Ryobi that I used for years but the DW is much better.
D.G. Adams
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:42:50 -0800, RayV wrote:

dgadams wrote:

Another deWalt here. Been working fine for me. Only complaint is that the connector for the vacuum hose pops off occasionally.
--John

I have been using a PC right angle ROS since 1989. It has been a great sander but when it dies it gets replaced by a Festool Rotex.

Let me add that Festool IIRC has a 30 day money back guarantee in case you find that it does not work as expected.
Leon wrote:

Smart folks!
Bose does the same thing with a $900 pilot's headset. The Bose headset is the "Festool" of headsets. Twice the price, with fit and features that will be of varying value to different purchasers.
I've never met anyone who has actually returned either item!

When I was at Rockler last week I handled several of the Festools they had on display. To me they did not feel comfortable, the gripping portion of the tools was too big. The only exception to this oversizing was the cordless drill but I am to used to the T style of the DeWalt so didn't like it either. The cases on the other hand were great especially if you are on the go, the interlocking seems very sturdy.
"Joe" wrote:

on
Bosch 3727.
Beat the crap out of them.
Had 3 stolen, somebody else must like them.
Add a Fein detail sander and your finish sanding is good to go.
SFWIW, based on the detail sander, would buy a Fein ROS.
Lew
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:34:33 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've got an older Bosch, don't remember the model number. But I'm happy with both performance and reliability.

I have a Bosch 3727 DEVS. It has been a good, dependable unit. This past year I bought 2 ROS from Home Depot; an R2600 and an R2611. I'm really impressed with both. I prefer the 2611 to the Bosch. (The 2600 is a palm sander and does an excellent job also)
Max

Max,
I've been leaning toward that Bosch based on other bosch stuff I own and perceived value per $$. What exactly do you like about the 2611 over the 3727?
thanks,
Joe

The Rigid seems to be more efficient at picking up dust and it has 2 orbit patterns, one slightly more aggressive. Since I have both sanders, I use the Rigid with a 150 grit (for example) and the more aggressive pattern. Then I switch to the Bosch and a 220 grit. *IF* I had only one sander it would be the Rigid because I could accomplish the same sanding job by using the courser grit and the aggressive pattern and then switch to the less aggressive pattern and a finer grit. My 2 cents. <G> If you have a Home Depot nearby, by all means check the Rigid out. $129. vs $149 for the Bosch. $20 will buy you some sanding discs. <G>
Max ( no connection to Home Depot)

Being cheap and not a heavy flat wood guy, I'm thinking of buying this one:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10051_10001_30482_-1_12951_12510
They usually have it on sale for around $55..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I picked up a Ridgid (Home Depot) 2610 6" about 2 years ago. Later I grapped another on clearance.
The 2610 was made in Germany; likely by Metabo. Google the articles.
The 2611 I think is now made in China, but looks comparable.
I'm very impressed with the dust collection when plugged into my shop vac. The 2 different orbit settings are handy. It's pretty well balanced, though the 6" size makes it a bit tedious when working on small parts.
I have a PC 7335 from many years back. A real workhorse, but horrible dust collection. There is now a h&l pad available and also a dust port. But I doubt it's as effective as the well designed Ridgid/Metabo.