need ideas

i want to build a place for my kids to land there backpacks and shoes when they come home from school. Any one have any ideas that i should incorporate into it.
it needs to have a seat some hooks and a box or bin or shelf or something for there shoes.
i can make my own plan but thought someone here may have some good ideas
thanks jimmy
How about a double-deep bench/box loveseat? The kind where half the seat flips up to access the well-ventilated cavity? Poly the heck outta it. Tom >Subject: need ideas

Someday, it'll all be over....

when
something
ideas
http://images.google.com/images?q=hall+tree&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en
| i want to build a place for my kids to land there backpacks and | shoes when they come home from school. Any one have any ideas | that i should incorporate into it.
It's called a "mud room" and there are as many designs for them as there are homeowners. The sine qua non, however, is an easily cleanable floor.
The basic design is a knee-high shelf that doubles as a shoe rack and a seat for donning and doffing shoes. Hooks at eye height work best for coats, backpacks, and so forth. A shelf above that for briefcases, etc. Some mud rooms also have a waist-high shelf for grocery bags, etc.
A mud room can be as elaborate as you need it to be. The exceptional examples I've seen include a tile floor with center drain, and a small sprayer for washing outside material down the drain; a sink for cleaning shoes; and laundry equipment.
You'll want to locate it close to the family entrance. (The foyer evolved from the mud room.) You'll want to visually separate it from the living area. The rest is simply how ambitious you are and how much space you've got to work with.
--Jay

Ay-yi-yi. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Jim:
I second 'tomeshew'; A larger (or longer) than usual 'Deacon's Bench' - 'Portable too... (?)
Warmly, Griz