Nailers- which one?

I'm going to invest in a nailer soon and wondering which kind & who's to get. From watching Norm it looks like he uses a brad nailer more than just a nailer? That being the case which do all of you suggest to purchase without breaking the bank? I'm new at this, well sorta... started WW last winter and now that winters almost here it time to play with wood.

Thanks

Reply to
Woodchuck

Depends on what you plan to do. Brad nailers are good for tacking things in place while the glue sets. If you put a couple of brads into two boards, you can pull them apart by hand. I like to pop a couple of brads in a couple of panels I'm assembling. After everything is in place, I'll use screws for greater strength. It is a hand tool

Finishing nails are better suited for when the nail will do the holding, installing moldings in the house. I see Norm nailing things together where I'd use screws. I'm not concerned about speed.

If you are only using air for nailing and the occasional tire fill up, a small pancake type will don. Porter Cable has a kit with compressor, either brad or finish nailer, air hose, etc. Worth checking out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on the job you wish to do. If it is mostly cabinetry and furniture work, then probably a brad nailer will get the most use.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS

- Bessey K-Body Clamps

- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

Woodcrafter

Reply to
Jim Behning

Not bad value, but the compressor is friggin loud. Ear protection is a must. I had PC pancake unit and it's being replaced with a small oil lubed Makita which is much, much, much quieter.

Reply to
mp

If you are interested to know what nailer(s) Norm actually uses, this guy has researched them all and put them on a website at

Dick Snyder

If this is your first venture into the wonderful world of "nailers" I would suggest you get a brad nailer from Harbor Freight, which on sale is less than $20.00 for one which will handle 2" 18 gauge brads. (BTW Suckers really hold but you would need glue support.) This is the orange one. The burgundy one is cheaper but only handles 1 1/4" brads.

Anyway, try it, see how you like it and what you would want that it does not have, then buy the one that has the features you want and put this one back as a spare. (Or in my case, gets used all the time)

As for compressors. Since it is only going to run very occassionaly, an $89.00 two tank unit from HF works really well. Put a pressure control valve on it for $5.00 and you are good to go. However, do not get the rubber hose, it will not last.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

This subject comes up from time to time:

Peek here:

own a brad nailer (2) finish nailer (2) staple gun (2) framing nailer (1)

These are all "Norm Approved" and available at

course your mileage may vary and just remember "Objects are closer than they appear in the mirror", and don't forget to wear your safety glasses.

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've had a Porter Cable 18Ga. brad nailer for a couple of years and it has performed well, does from 5/8" to 2", good for molding and small projects, hope this helps.

Reply to
Derek J. Scott