My compressor has a hole in it

I noticed moisture under my compressor. I discovered a pin hole in it. I immediately cut the plug off of the cord so nobody can use it.
My question is, has anybody in this group purchased a new tank and moves the motor, compressor and pressure switches to the new tank. If so, how did it turn out? :-)

Boy, my grammar and spelling stunk up the place on the first post. Oh well!

the
What kind of compressor is it? For lower end compressors, it's hardly worth the effort. It takes years of neglect to rust through a tank and small/low end compressors are really built as throw away items. Compressor heads wear and become less and less efficient. From a pure work perspective - it's a simple job to put a new tank on a compressor, but why don't you check out prices for a new tank, put a dollar value on your time, compare what you'll end up with (air delivery rates, etc.), and price what a comparable compressor would cost new. The tank is the least effective part of the compressor. I'd suggest some basic cost comparisons first.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I had the same thing happen to my Emglo. Posted the problem here and got the response to use some Epoxy on the area (sand it first). Did so and the fix has lasted five years so far.
Low end direct drive oiless compressors are a great source for Tanks. I took my 3 piston 5 hp granger compressor off of a bad tank and mounted it on a Craftsman tank that had a bad compressor. I cut the whole compressor / motor mount off the old tank and tack welded it to the new tank. It has been working great for a couple of years now.
When I did the transplant I melted a little axle grease and coated the bottom of the new tank. I also installed one of the harbor freight devices that drains all the water out of the tank in a quick short blast every time the compressor kicks off. Works great. I haven't drained the tank of over two years. It was less than $20 on sale.

Only adivsed for good welders. The risk of the average chicken-shit welder weakening the base metal is far too high. Unless of course - you're talking about cutting and welding at the mounting bracket. If this is the case, clarity is in order.

That would be ok for such things as air nailers, impact guns, etc. but would be very inadvisable for spray painting.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

True,
Addditionally, the tank is an ASME code vessel and welding on the shell will invalidate the certification if that matters. No recourse back to the manufacturer in the event of future problems, liability on the owner. And not worth doing the repair to code.
Frank, who was an ASME sec 8 Div 1, code welder in a former life.

Transplanted the bracket. Welded at the seams holding the ends of the tank to the middle tube. All it took was a good tack weld on each corner which is pretty easy with a mig if you start with clean metal.

Good point, I use my air for tools and I use a turbo HVLP for spraying.
The old tank made a great BBQ. There was much more rust damage inside the tank than was evident from the pin hole leak on the outside. It was actually very easy to weld a patch on the old tank (from the inside once I cut the lid for the BBQ.)
Lee K wrote:

Sounds like an IED to me.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

As is any compressor or compressor-driven device, IMO.