My 690 router is starting to fail, anyone ever have thiers serviced

Hello,
I have a 5 year old PC 690. Over the last week the router will not start all the time. If I unplug the router and give it a wack or 2 and spin the shaft it may start after that.
Any ideas on what it could be?
Has anyone had any experience with having a router serviced or should I just buy a new one.
Thanks
Larry C

I would check the brushes first.
Then the cord and then the switch. They are usually very reliable routers.
--
Rumpty

Leon wrote:

Absolutely check the brushes. After a few months of use, my 690 wouldn't start at all. A few minutes of testing proved the problem to be in the switch. Stopped by the Delta/PC store my next trip down the hill, picked up a switch for a few bucks, and was back in business quickly.
Moral: Don't trash the machine until you know what the problem is. Or was that something about shooting and whites of eyes?...     mahalo,     jo4hn
Thank you all for the quick replies.
I will follow your advice.
Larry C
With an essential unknown but spontaneous start, the tool is dangerous as hell. Would not use the thing until competently diagnosed and fixed. Was on case (lawsuit) where the router ate the operator royally. http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

The OP didn't describe a spontaneous start, but a failure <to> start...

W/O looking, I'd wager there was operator error/poor judgement involved as well...
I encountered a fellow many years ago who had lost an eye to a Craftsman Table saw. He had removed the blade guard, and was not wearing eye protection when it happened. Even in the mid 70's, the owners manuals (IIRC) clearly stated the need for these safety measures. Nevertheless, he was suing Sears over it.
Weird.
--Steve
snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

Thanks again guys, I am bringing it to the service center tomorrow.
Larry C
Steve wrote:

Nope, just the current state of our society (in certain segments) No responsibility for anything. It's always somebody elses fault.
The genius above probably argued that althought the guard was provided and warning given, Sears made it too easy for an idiot to be, well, an idiot.
No doubt that if Sears WELDED the guards in place and the guy took it off contrary to their warnings, they would be sued for selling the welding torch he used to remove it<g>

As some others have said, the causes could be brushes or switches. Hitting it won't fix either of these (in fact may make the symptoms worse). Jim

I really hate to burst your bubble...nope, probably no need to buy a new one, as disappointing as that is. <G>
As the rest of the wrecking crew already suggested--->switch or brushes. Knowing PC the way I do...check the cord also...mmmmm..about 2" away from the strain relief. I have had a few go on me that way. If it is the cord, it is a wonderful opportunity to put a nice rubber 12-footer on as a replacement.