Motor mount for F56

I'm attempting to build a thickness drum sander, and the motor I bought has a mount called an F56C.

Basically, if you're looking straight at the output shaft, there are 4 bolt holes in the "face" of the motor, 4.125" apart.

What's the typical way to mount this motor so that tension of the belt can still be adjustable?

Reply to
larrybud2002

You have a standard NEMA 56, C-Face motor.

I have used a couple of them for tool drives.

The easiest way is to use a piece of 13 ply, 3/4" plywood as a mount.

Drill clearance holes for the four (4) mounting bolts and cut out the hole for the C-Face rabbit to fit.

Mount with bolts and fender washers.

Use LocTite on the mounting bolt threads.

After that, there are several ways to mount the assembly to provide belt adjustment and maintain belt tension.

The simplest way is to provide a hinge mounted flat base the the motor mount ply can be attached to and use the weight of the motor to maintain belt tension.

The above is exactly what I did to power a small, 4" Rockwell jointer.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What is the C-Face rabbit? It looks like I would have to cut two rabbits. One approx 1.5" in diameter where the output shaft is, then a groove approx 1/4" wide that is perhaps 3, 3.5" in diameter. (didn't measure it yet).

Do have have to cut those rabbits?

Reply to
larrybud2002

It is the projection used as a guide when you install the motor on something like a right angle gear box.

Syicks out from the face about 1/8" and from memory is probably about

3-1/2" dia

No.

HTH

Lew