Moldings

Many years ago when I put an addition on my house I simply used stain on the moldings around windows and doors (interior). I did not use anything in addition to the stain, which I believe was MinWax. Now I have decided I no longer like the look of the stained moldings and want to either replace them or paint them. I have two questions:
1) Is it best to use each existing molding as a template for it's replacement, or measure and cut anew the new molding?
2) If I decide not to replace the moldings, but rather paint them, hoiw do I prepare the moldings foir painting? What kind of paint would be the best to use, e.g. oil-based, latex, acrylic?
Thanks.
John mailto: snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net
I'd remove the molding before painting and clean it with a TSP solution. Then paint it. Since it's stained, there would be very little difference in adhesion between latex and oil paints, but to be sure - - and do a better job. I'd prime it first. Ray

from my experience this never works as well as you think it would. i would just forget the old stuff and start over. at least that way you KNOW it will fit right.

lightly sand it, two coats of latex primer, two coats of latex paint.
randy
After sanding, it wouldn't hurt to degloss the moldings with liquid sandpaper to remove all the years of grease and /or grime and then prime with kilz (solvent based). The Kilz will stick to anything and anything will stick to it. I've used this technique several times and the paint sticks to the wood.

would
John wrote:

[snip]
The easy way is to *Spackle* any open seams, dings, etc. Do a light sanding on everything, prime with Kilz or equivalent, and paint with whatever. You don't have to remove the moldings; usually that will cause more damage than it's worth. If you don't have a steady hand with a paint brush (like me) and have a tidy streak, mask off the areas that you don't want painted. Have fun.     mahalo,     jo4hn
John wrote:

Many thanks to all who responded with their advice. Think I'll paint the existiung moldings rather than replace them.
Thanks again.
John