Miters and putty

A while back I posted a topic of the same name, found here....

quote myself: "When you glue up miters for trim or molding, what adhesive do you use?

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you all have *perfect* miters every time?"

Reading through this month's PopMech, I stumbled across an ad for a product called Polyseamseal which appears to be the putty type glue I was looking for.

JP

*********************************************** Prescient...or just a lousy carpenter.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Those putty type glues have virtually no mechanical strength and are practically useless for fine joinery. Sanding could be a problem too, IME they take days/ weeks to go anywhere near hard, if at all. I reach for white or yellow glue, maybe UF for oily hardwoods. A good 96T blade in a well set up quality mitre saw (Makita LS1013 for me) is a *big* help. And there's always the nice, sharp, fine set block plane for those "blonde moments" we sometimes all have when cutting.

Reply to
deadlock

G'day Jay, The perfect mitre is something we all aspire to. However filling gaps in mitres with putty should be avoided if at all possible. Because of the nature of the mitre the gap will go across the grain, thus any filling will stand out like "Dogs' B@lls". Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone and put up with a small gap. Just my opinion and experience. regards John

Reply to
John B

Putty is not your friend. Practice and experience will negate any need for it.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I don't know anything about putty glues but avoid wood putty at all costs in my work. I spend a lot of time to get accurate cuts and if I mess up I make a new piece.

Reply to
Frank Drackman