Minwax Stain Leveling Finish Additional Comments

Here is an interesting comment Baron made from the "Poly Beading Up" posts:

their other stains. For example, there is something in it that tends to make it either bleed or interferes with the curing of Minwax's Polycrylic finish. I'm sure the stain is the cause of all sorts of problems except in the most simple of finishing schedules.<<
I finish all of my work using Hydrocote Resistane and usually use Hydrocote's penetrating water base stain. However when a customer asks for a "match" to their other work I have them select from a Minwax color chart and use the Minwax stain and then the Hydrocote Resistane. This works well and I'm usually very happy with the quality of the finish.
I have started selling a lot of work in Cherry and the customer preferred stain color is the Minwax Red Mahogany #225 , but when using this particular stain I have trouble getting the Resistane to level properly, and it usually takes a third coat and sanding to get it to look right and even then I'm not entirely satisfied.
Thanks to Baron for pointing this caveat out on the Minwax Instructions! Yeah yeah I know, read the instructions.... ;-)
--
Rumpty

Instructions?!? We don't need no stinking instructions!

LOL Baron! I appreciate you pointing this out. I've been spraying on Minwax stain for years and top coating with Hydrocote Resistane with good success, except for the red mahogany! FWIW I'm going to switch to Hood Wiping stains to replace the Minwax, I'll post my observations.
--
Rumpty

Not to belabor the point, but why not try Hydrocote's own line of stains? I assume they will be compatible under their own line of topcoats. They even have a red mahogany. Hood even sells the whole Hydrocote line and states in their catalog that the stains are compatible under all finishes.

Baron,
I've used their penetrating waterborne stain for years under resistane with good results, but their cherry I don't like, so I use the Minwax. Their solvent based wiping stains are supposed to be good and I have 8 shades of Cherry Wiping stain sitting in the shop ready for testing. I have several orders in oak to be finished Monday and I'll run some test pieces of the new stain. I'll advise.
Thanks!
--
Rumpty