Minwax Stain Leveling Finish Additional Comments

Here is an interesting comment Baron made from the "Poly Beading Up" posts:

>Minwax Red Mahogany has slightly different instructions on the can from

their other stains. For example, there is something in it that tends to make it either bleed or interferes with the curing of Minwax's Polycrylic finish. I'm sure the stain is the cause of all sorts of problems except in the most simple of finishing schedules.

Reply to
Rumpty

Instructions?!? We don't need no stinking instructions!

Reply to
Baron

LOL Baron! I appreciate you pointing this out. I've been spraying on Minwax stain for years and top coating with Hydrocote Resistane with good success, except for the red mahogany! FWIW I'm going to switch to Hood Wiping stains to replace the Minwax, I'll post my observations.

Reply to
Rumpty

Not to belabor the point, but why not try Hydrocote's own line of stains? I assume they will be compatible under their own line of topcoats. They even have a red mahogany. Hood even sells the whole Hydrocote line and states in their catalog that the stains are compatible under all finishes.

Reply to
Baron

Baron,

I've used their penetrating waterborne stain for years under resistane with good results, but their cherry I don't like, so I use the Minwax. Their solvent based wiping stains are supposed to be good and I have 8 shades of Cherry Wiping stain sitting in the shop ready for testing. I have several orders in oak to be finished Monday and I'll run some test pieces of the new stain. I'll advise.

Thanks!

Reply to
Rumpty