*** Mini FAQ for Rec.Woodworking *** 139

Dear New User,
** Welcome to rec.woodworking, known locally as the wreck **
This is an informal group with users of all levels of knowledge, from those who have yet to pick up a tool, professional woodworkers, authors of books on woodworking, woodworking magazine editors, principals of tool companies, and every level in between.
One of the traditions of Usenet Newsgroups (NG) that is encouraged, is the tradition of "lurking", or hanging around for a while, taking in the local culture before posting to the NG. While not mandatory, it is asked that you just sit back and read the NG for a short time before your first posting. This will allow you to become familiar with how things are done in this neck of the woods, become familiar with the locals, etc.
This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away from strictly ww'ing. Think of this NG as if you were having a number of friends over to your shop to discuss ww'ing, 90% of the discussion will revolve around ww'ing, but you will also discuss other things going on in your life, like your shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur you just got for $100, just got a new job, etc. That is what we do in this NG.
Please DO NOT post off topic. If you *MUST* make an off topic post, please preface the subject with "[OT]", so those who are not interested in OT posts can skip them..
NOTE: I have recently been receiving a lot of flack from the cabal regarding the preceding paragraph. Apparently, a few of them think I am encouraging OT posts, I am not, I am simply providing a way of distinguishing them so those who want to skip them can, or even put OT in their kill file if they wish.
If you find yourself being referred to as a "newbie", don't take offence; it is not a derogatory term, but a statement of fact.
Sometimes some members of this NG can be a little harsh, take it in stride, put on your Nomex underwear and fire back. The timid don't survive NG's for very long. But be polite, this is one of the few NG's left on Usenet where decorum is still the common practice rather than the exception.
One resource that is even greater than this NG is this NG's archives. Every message posted here is stored on Deja.com (now http://groups.google.com /). Many knowledgeable wreckers no longer post on topics asked every other day, because of the repetitive nature. If you want the most in depth answer to your question, check Deja, if you do not get all the information you require, then post your question to the NG.
Another useful Search Engine is Usenet Replayer, http://usenet-replayer.com .
** A note on Trolls **
People, when will you learn, *PLEASE* do not reply to the trolls, leave them under their pitiful bridge to starve. And they will starve, and go away if you stop feeding them with your replies.
** How to use Nfilter(AKA NewsProxy) to filter out Trolls and other useless crap **
Nfilter is used successfully by wreck members using the following O.S.'s - Win98se, XP Home, XP Pro, Win2K, and Win2K Advanced Server.
1. Download & install NewsProxy from http://www.nfilter.org / Basic instructions are at http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#2.2
*** The Nfilter web site is gone! ***
Robert Bonomi has been kind enough to host the program for us wreckers, click the link to get a copy of Nfilter and some other useful info,
http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/index.html
Thank you Robert.
*** ***
2. Copy the "NewsProxy" shortcut from - C:\Program Files\NewsProxy\ To - C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\ [this is for Win98se, modify this to suit your OS.]
3. If you are using Outlook Express. Start OE. Right click on your news folder (not rec.ww - you want the main news folder) and select Properties. Select the Server tab. Copy the information from the Server Name box. Enter "localhost" (without the quote marks) in the Server Name box. Some O.S.'s may require you use 127.0.0.1 in the Server Name box.
HEY! Where's the tagline? I miss those. :)
FAQ for Rec.Woodworking*** now with 1/3 less fat!                 with Platformate!                 ketchupier!                 live and in color!                 more horsepower!                 cheesier!                 less static cling!                 BAD to the bone!
...okay, forget the last one...
Anybody else not doing much today? ;> Michael
On 26 Nov 2003, Michael Baglio <mbaglio spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Nope, just waiting for SWMBO's uncle to drop off the home-grown 40# turkey for tomorrow's afternoon snack. I'm convinced the thing isn't really a turkey, but a Cornish Game Ostrich.

Phone call for you... some guy named Sinbad. Sounds *really* p*ssed off.
Something about a "Roc"
Or maybe the uncle was actually raising a 'rary bird'.
On 27 Nov 2003, Robert Bonomi spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Hah!
    SWMBO's mother insisted that the thing needed 9 hours in the oven, based on last year's bird, which she felt had been undercooked. Not that SHE had had anything to do with it, mind you.
    It was done in 7. We turned off the oven, and left it in to stay warm. By the time dinner was ready to put on the table, the meat was falling off the bones, and a bit dry. Fortunately, there was plenty of wine with dinner to help wash it down.
Maggy cooks her birds in a brown paper grocery bag. Holds the juices in but breathes well. Juicy and tender and ... think I'll just go have a turkey and cranberry sandwich. Mas tarde.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Scott Cramer wrote: [snip]>

Mine (19lbs) was done perfectly in 4 hours, just laying in the oven at 325, no bags, no tricks, no fuss, no muss, just a little tender lovin' basting toward the end.
It would have been more perfect on the table if numb nuts BIL hadn't decided he could carve turkey.
I have a rule at Thanksgiving and Christmas ... Absolutely NO women allowed in the kitchen, No exceptions! ... numb nuts, after I neuter him next time I see him, will definitely fall within the "no exceptions".
My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the culinary aftermath: _My_ breakfast this morning was two eggs, over easy, on top of a generous helping of leftover dirty rice dressing.
... Now _that_ is coonass culinary heaven, I guarantee!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.
You need to take a look at Doug Winterburn's carving project on A.B.P.W. It will add a certain panache to the proceedings, not to mention a probable listine in the Guiness Book.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Swingman wrote:
[snip]... numb nuts, after I neuter him next time I

It would have done just as well had I jointed one edge and one face and sent it through the planer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Got an actual URL for that? I don't track abpw.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
scribbled

There was this guy on ABPF with a misspelled French name who suggested the following a few months ago:
http://burner1.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/archive?scan=alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
instead. :-)

Try microwaving it -- best turkey you will ever eat. Soft and juicy, not a bit dried out. And takes less than two hours, even for a 20+ pound bird.
Michael Baglio wrote:

Just sitting here in the afterglow of a B.A.D.M. after uploading a write up on my pre-Delta clone Powermatic band saw to the OWWM Photo Index.
http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 3
After that the wee gurl (Claire, age 8) and I are maybe off to the art store for some supplies and contemplating what to do with ourselves for the next five days.
sigh...
UA100