Milwaukee 5625 3.25hp router - Dead

So I've got it hung in a router table running a quarter inch round-over on a few hundred MDF parts and it's easy-peasy. I get done, clean up, blow off the router motor and set it on top of the table for the next time I need i t. Which was today. To my knowledge the router has not been used since I la st did. I plugged it in to a working outlet, turned it on, and....nothing. There is no visible damage to the cord or the router itself. It has less than 10 hours use on it - practically new.

Any thoughts? I haven't started dismantling as it was discovered late toda y and I got mad and left. Plus it's Friday and I had a massage but that's a whole nuther story.

Tia JP

Reply to
JayPique

So I've got it hung in a router table running a quarter inch round-over on a few hundred MDF parts and it's easy-peasy. I get done, clean up, blow off the router motor and set it on top of the table for the next time I need it. Which was today. To my knowledge the router has not been used since I last did. I plugged it in to a working outlet, turned it on, and....nothing. There is no visible damage to the cord or the router itself. It has less than 10 hours use on it - practically new.

Any thoughts? I haven't started dismantling as it was discovered late today and I got mad and left. Plus it's Friday and I had a massage but that's a whole nuther story.

------------------------------------------------------------- Personally, I'd grab that router and head to the nearest Milwaukee service center.

It might be something under warranty.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Question how do you remove dust?

Too often I see people using a closed cabinet with holes drilled in the door... and then they have the DC sucking air from that cabinet. Norm Abrahms like.

Well most routers send air from the head of the motor toward the bit, so if you are sucking the air out of the cabinet you are starving the motor of air.. it can't cool, and you are sucking dust into the motor.

If you did this, than you probably need to open the motor, I'll bet there is dust packed in the commutator.

Reply to
woodchucker

So I've got it hung in a router table running a quarter inch round-over on a few hundred MDF parts and it's easy-peasy. I get done, clean up, blow off the router motor and set it on top of the table for the next time I need it. Which was today. To my knowledge the router has not been used since I last did. I plugged it in to a working outlet, turned it on, and....nothing. There is no visible damage to the cord or the router itself. It has less than 10 hours use on it - practically new.

Any thoughts? I haven't started dismantling as it was discovered late today and I got mad and left. Plus it's Friday and I had a massage but that's a whole nuther story.

Tia JP

Do you have a air compressor? I always pressure air through my power tools when through using them. WW

Reply to
WW

JayPique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You might have a bit of dust inside the motor, and there's a chance it would be dislodged if you rotate the shaft manually.

If the brushes are removable, I'd probably look at those next. Remove the brush and shine a light down the hole it came out of. Look for anything other than the motor wall and commutator.

After this, disassembling the router will probably be necessary. Once apart, I'd look for any foreign matter and start tracing the power system with a meter.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't know what type of motor the router has, but in my table saw motor there are a set to contacts that are in the starting circuit. Occasionally a wood chip will get into these contacts preventing their proper operation. When this happens, all you have to do is disassemble the motor and clean the dust and wood chips from the insides. Just remember what comes out must go in as far as the parts are concerned

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I'd start simple & electrical ... flip the switch on & off vigorously ; wiggle the cord ends ; reset thermal overload ; As someone else suggested - spin the motor by hand .. Good luck - let us know what you find. John T.

hubops

I have one router - an old one - that does that occasionally. The problem is that when it stops the brushes are sort of between the commutator strips or at least aren't making good contact. My solution for that is to rotate the arbor slightly (while unplugged or at least "off", of course).

Reply to
dadiOH

Have you tried directing extreme profanity at the offending tool? I have used this approach many times. It has only worked twice in the last 50 years though. But it did work on those two occasions. It is always available as a first resort.

(Did I just post this?)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

+1 more on the brush problem - rotate and try again. If that starts it, I'd pull and clean the brushes. If turning doesn't make it start, I'd pull and check the brushes anyway - and while apart check with ohneter to make sure the swirch is working.
Reply to
clare

Hell, Bubba! ... that's worth a minimum $.02 of fame in the "Tip" section of any DIY/Woodworking magazine! ;)

In the shop, or onsite, I do find the following phrase most effective when muttered, under breath, and often, and with heavy emphasis on first word, in a Shakespearean, rhythmic, iambic pentameter:

"_YOU_ GD, MF'ing SOB'ing, POS!". ©1951-2014

Works for me, since I was 8 years old ...

(Must have, I definitely just replied.)

Reply to
Swingman

I buy the occasional lottery ticket, but rarely check the numbers until I've collected several of them. I've found the above line particularly useful when getting down to the last few numbers. After winning nothing, I curse and swear at the damned lottery. *Then* I win several dollars, just enough to keep me buying.

I can't swear at all the tickets, because then I get nothing. It only works if I swear at the last few tickets.

Reply to
none

From my own personal experience with the same router I would agree. ;-)

Reply to
Max

------------------------------------------------------------- So what did you find?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So I've got it hung in a router table running a quarter inch round-over on a few hundred MDF parts and it's easy-peasy. I get done, clean up, blow off the router motor and set it on top of the table for the next time I need it. Which was today. To my knowledge the router has not been used since I last did. I plugged it in to a working outlet, turned it on, and....nothing. There is no visible damage to the cord or the router itself. It has less than 10 hours use on it - practically new.

Any thoughts? I haven't started dismantling as it was discovered late today and I got mad and left. Plus it's Friday and I had a massage but that's a whole nuther story.

------------------------------------------------------------ Ever solve this problem?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

After 3 months, looks like the problem went away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:21:41 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

That's what you get for swearing at it. It took time for its hurt feelings to go away.

Reply to
none