Milwaukee 14.4v cordless drill - which to buy?

Page 1 of 2

I am in the market for a cordless drill / driver. I'm not interested in one of the cheaper 3/8" drills (Skil, B&D, etc.) but for my modest DIY uses I probably don't need the top-of-the-line pro models either.
Being very happy with Milwaukee jigsaw I've bought a few years ago, I'm leaning towards one of their 14.4v 1/2" dril / drivers. The specific models are the 0612-22 Compact Series drill and the 0616-24 Lok-Tor drill. The 0612 is a bit smaller and lighter, but the Lok-Tor beats it in torque (460 vs. 390) and run time. The Lok-Tor also has a side handle. One think that bothers me about the Lok-Tor is that it is a "new" product; in most cases this is a good thing, but in this case I really want to hear that the new product is better (esp. considering Milwaukee is under new ownership).
Pricewise, it looks like the Lok-Tor 0616 will run me about $20 more than the 0612.
So, what I'd like to hear are any reccomendations between these two models from someone who has used both. If you feel strongly that I should the 18V model, or get a different brand (Panasonic, DeWalt, etc.) let me know that too. Thanks.

I have the 18v Dewalt set. Powerful, heavy and some times hard to get into places. Did I mention heavy?
If your just doing some DIY stuff I suggest that you consider the Chicago brand by Harbor Freight. Last time I looked their 18 v drill was 40 bucks. Personally if and when I need another cordless I will consider the 14.4v stuff. Size is important when trying to get the drill into places. I own corded drills that go up to half inch so power is not a problem. It is not that big of a deal to string a cord for me at least.
If this is your one and only drill, you might want the more powerful one.

If it is his one and only drill he should consider getting a much cheaper corded one first.
Why? Corded drills are horrible screwdrivers. Any drill can drill a hole. What sets a good cordless drill apart is its ability to drive screws (via a clutch and electric brake).

Everyone should have a corded drill as their primary/backup
So that when those wonderful battery powered ones die 3/4 of the way through a job, you don't have to wait for the battery to recharge.
And don't start the "they should have a second battery ready in the charger all the time" argument. As no one ever does. <LOL>
If you can plug in a charger, you can plug in a drill.
And to be honest, a REAL SCREWDRIVER works great too, a bit slower, but NEVER has to be recharged or plugged in <g>
AMUN

one.
cheaper
Hmmm... I bought my Dewalt 18v cordless drill, and I haven't used my corded one since. No reason to. And, as a matter of fact, I do usually have a second battery ready in the charger. As soon as I take a battery out of the drill because it's dieing, it gets slapped into the charger. Even when I was building my deck, I wasn't able to out-pace the batteries. They charge in an hour, and it took me longer than that to wear them out.
Clint

I just find something else to do as the battery charges. It only takes an hour or so.
Have you ever tried driving a 3" screw using a manual screwdriver?

As a hobbyist, I question the need for a backup for any tool. It is a great way to save money.

Perhaps. Mine has not been touched since I got a cordless about 5 years ago.

I have two ready to go.

Right, but the charger will charge a battery a few feet from the receptical while the battery powered drill can be taken hundeds, thousands, of feet away and still work, no extgensio cord needed. Damned handy to have cordless up on the roof.

True, but putting in those 2 1/2" screws up on the second floor for shutters was much faster using a powered tool.
People used to ride horses and cut firewood with hand saws too, but few will today. But don't let me stop you from enjoying old technology.

Put me in the "me too" crowd here also. One battery is always in the charger (Milwaukee has trickle charge, so no harm is done to the battery this way, it actually keeps the battery from discharging by itself), the other on the drill.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:43:52 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

If it's a NiCd or NiMH battery, a constant trickle charge isn't good for it. I leave mine go, until I know I'm going to need it. I charge one the day before, then swap batteries after the "uncharged" one gets a little light.
--
Keith

New chargers shut down, not trickle. Maybe some cheap ones still do.
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:06:18 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and there is a good reason for it, as I pointed out. The "good chargers" don't maintain charge and M&J indicated a trickle charge.
--
Keith

Milwaukee manual indicates that no harm will come to battery by leaving it on the charger. I probably didn't phrase this right, the trickle charge is not constant, but the charger keeps the battery near full charge, re-charging when it drops some (don't know what the threshold is).
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:18:12 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Cycling a battery in the charger may not be a good strategy either. There is a maximum number of recharge cycles for batteries. NiMH is worse than NiCd here, but NiCds also have cycling "issues".
--
Keith

wrote in message

ago.
receptical
shutters
will
This reply is not just for you but ALL who say their cordless drills are wonderful.
I have one too, in a kit with a little circular and jig saw, flashlight, etc that all works on the same battery
But only use it when absolutely necessary, eg. working on a roof/ladder or crawling under a building when I only need to drill a few holes or make a small quick cut
Over the years I have worked with many who ALSO laughed at me for preferring "ancient technology" with extension cords.
And just about every day one of the cordless people would be asking for a loan of my corded drill. Usually as they ran out of batteries, and were lost.
Batteries go bad, don't always make a good connection in the charger, get dropped and break, or charger cords get kicked out of plugs and no one notices until its too late.
And sometimes on sites with lots of people walking around,.....batteries and chargers left unattended just vanish.
Nobody seems to care about taking my extension cord and scratched up metal casing drill, and if they try I'll know it right away
The ones who had batteries borrowed the corded drill as theirs just were not powerful enough to handle jobs.
Try drilling though concrete or 3' of wood with a cordless drill or any use where you will be using it for more than a few minutes steady. Those batteries just won't stand up.
Corded will still go until you can't hold it anymore or the drill is smoking.
When I go to a site where there is no power, I bring along a small generator. It powers the drill and anything else I need
While you keep running thousands of feet every hour or so to get a fresh batteries, all I need is within a few feet.
In closing to all who think cordless is a MUST.
What did you do 10 years ago ???
All tools have their pros and cons. The best thing for one person is not necessarily the best for all.
But again to the OP. If you have no drill yet, you will see that there are lots of opinions.
AMUN

I don't use my drill every day, nor do my neighbors or co workers. Does not apply.

As do many other tools. But we are talking home use, not a job site.

Agree. The right tool for the job, every time. I don't recall the last time I drilled concrete. I did put in a couple of anchors, maybe 5 years ago. Used my corded drill and is crapped out on me. I was, however, a home use type drill, not a pro drill.

Never had the need.

Never worked with my drill for hours at a time.

Exactly. The typical homeowner or hobbyist does not need generators and new batteries every hour. I go weeks between charges. I have two drills and have one set for drilling pilot holes, the other for screwing. Saves time changing back and forth.
You make good and valid points but your needs far exceed 95% of us.
wrote in message

not
new
Actually now that I am retired my drills get a lot more rest than they used to. But I still grab the odd job for spending money & something to do.
But many are arguing that a $300.00+ cordless drill setup is better than any corded one. If the OP is just going to use it once a month around the house to hang the occasional picture on drywall, you don't need much.
And even a $15.00 corded cheap B&D will suffice. Most homeowners will never be 50' from an outlet anyway, so the weedwacker extension cord they already have will serve their needs
But if someone just wants a cordless at any cost, by all means, take your money, buy what you want, and enjoy it.
AMUN

Agreed. When there's heavy work to do, a cordless drill just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. I've got a Milwaukee 12v cordless and I use it whenever I can, but my 120v Milwaukee hammer drill is there and gets used when the going gets really tough.