Might Be Turning Into A Wood Dorking NewsGroup!

Page 1 of 2

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise ratio has gotten well into spec.
Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking group.
WTF?

I bin away.
Try: alt.binaries.pictures.supermodels.
The signal-to-noise ratio (woodworking being the "signal") is pretty low (probably similar to here), but the "noise" is considerably more palatable.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:38:38 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."
Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday. (A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)
OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of mesquite for display in my living room.
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
<snip>

A fitting tribute to a major life change. Congratulations.
Patriarch
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:53:11 -0500, the opaque Patriarch

Thanks. (Glenn, Mark, and Owie.)
I'm very glad to have survived both drunkenness and sobriety.
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:49:58 -0700, Larry Jaques

Congrats Larry.

Good for you Larry - that's something you should rightfully be very proud of.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating 20 years drug free as well.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
On 7/6/2005 8:39 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13, but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live forever.
On 7/8/2005 6:11 AM Prometheus mumbled something about the following:

See, it was chaw and dip that I started on before smoking, and it don't go well with my current profession (lead systems administrator) when I'm in meetings all the time. I only smoke 1 carton every 2 weeks, and I smoke cheap ones, $18 a carton after tax, so my cost is less than $500 a year, I only smoke outside, so I'm only affecting myself. Besides, I ride a motorcycle in heavy traffic every day, smoking is no worse than all those friggin fumes I breath in while in traffic, and cigs taste MUCH better than diesel fumes.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

You prefer mouth/gum/throat cancer to lung cancer, eh? And it's such a lovely habit to continually spit out that ugly brown shit. Congrats! I'll bet your family and friends are thrilled and honored by it, too. <tsk tsk tsk>
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

for 16 years, and December 17 sees me off Courvoisier and Wild Turkey for 19 years. I quite boozing when it hit $13 a fifth for the good WT, and bailed out of cigarets when they hit $9 a carton. Of course, health was the reason for both stops.
The idea of changing from cigarets to a chew never once slipped into my mind. The butts could be daydreamed (stupidly so, but possible) into some kind of classy deal back in the early '50s. Chewing tobacco was always on the low end of the class scale. And it just plain looks nasty.
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:29:55 -0700, Larry Jaques

Well, everyone has got a devil. I quit drinking, drugs and junk food, so I figure I'm doing ok. I suppose I could sit around wrapped in foam and sip cold tea while contemplating the fung shui of the neighborhood, but I've got other things to do. Tell you what, you overlook the snoose, and I won't bother people who eat too much chocolate and fast food, or take mind-altering chemicals because they feel a little blue.
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 06:50:48 -0500, the opaque Prometheus

Goodonya, mate.

Don't we all? <g>

So solly, Chahlie. No can do. Bother away!
BTW, I watched "Supersize Me" the other night and became ill watching the poor guy eat McDognuts for a month, almost killing himself. And the statistics on obesity are staggering. One of the few things I miss from LoCal is the percentage of fit, healthy people in the citizenry.
P.S: There is no such thing as "too much chocolate".
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:51:55 -0400, the opaque Odinn

All I can say about the smoking is "FOO!" Tha money could have bought you a new (or classic) scoot by now.
Well, I made it to 20. Happy Days! www.diversify.com/20yeartoken/
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
On 7/8/2005 11:25 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:

cheap cigs, $18 a carton, and I smoke a carton every 2 weeks, so, let's see, $468 a year for 15 years is only $7020. Nope, wouldn't buy even a cheep scoot.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

I "paused" once for a year... I guess I was pretty irritable, because my (now ex) wife told me one day "why don't you buy a pack of smokes before we end up divorced"... Within about a week I was back up to a pack a day and 5 years later I got a divorce, so it sure wasn't a good idea to buy that pack.. To get semi-on topic, I ave made a lot of ash tray holders and sold quite a few snubbers.. (I used to market them as Butt Savers)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing