metal detector question

A coworker has offered me all the Oak i can haul if i help him tear down an old shed. So, i need to purchase a good metal detector. Any brand better than others? Or all they about the same? thanks
--
DavisWoodShop

I've got a DeWalt surface planer that ALWAYS find any bits of metal in any board run though it. Does that qualify as a metal detector?? sigh. The 733 I have doesn't allow for offsetting the blades to neutralize chipped blades.
dave
sawdust wrote:

I use a Garrett metal detector - the kind you see airport security using all the time. I find them a lot better than that red one that you can get through woodworking supply stores.
While I bought mine through Ebay, you can get them from any store dealing in security equipment. I figured if I saved one set of knives on my 15 inch Delta Planer, it was worth it. It's done that over and over again.
Brian

I use a lumber wizard without trouble (got it for the same project) anything that misses I also have the same dewalt 733 metal detector BAD has, works every time!

I had a lumber wizard. I found it to be very, very fussy to calibrate and it wasn't all that sensitive. I returned it to the seller. I checked with a security vendor and asked what they recommended for metal detection in lumber. They pointed me toward a Garrett model (about $170).
Bob

I use a Bounty Hunter metal detector, with the switch set to "all metal". I also do a visual inspection. Joe
--
A hobbyist / carpenter with an emphasis on small projects.