Metal dectector

Any recommendations for a metal detector? How about the Little Wizard? I need to scan some old pallet boards. Thanks

I've had a few different types, and the best performance has been from the 'airport security wand' style. Hey, if they can detect a microchip in Scully's neck, they're sure to find a nail or staple in that board you're about to run across the jointer. A number of manufacturers make them, and I have no recommendations of one above the other. Mine lists for around $80 - I paid about $40.
I bought a Little Wizard and it does a fair job for the price. As is always said, you get what you pay for. It looks like the next model up the feeding chain runs around $80. The Wiz has done ok for me, but everything I have found buried in wood has been of a fairly large size.                                 Mark L.
Phisherman wrote:

I use a treasure type metal detector - Bounty Hunter - before I pass used wood through my planer. Works just fine, but I still perform a visual inspection...just in case. Have fun. Joe

I have the little wizard which works ok, but I wouldn't trust it entirely on the thicker material. I have the Lumber Wizard arriving at some stage this week, so once I have a good run with it, I'll post a review on my site :)
-- -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - Triton Powered Respirator ------------------------------------------------------------
Phisherman wrote:

I've got a Zircon Multiscanner Pro SL, I set it for metal scan and it seems to work OK.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I bought one of the early versions of the Little Wizard and found it of NO value in detecting anything smaller than a small nail. I then bought a Lumber Wizard and it works much better. If you have one of these Wizard Industries detectors see their web page and you can vastly improve the performance of your detector..even the Little Wizard. http://wizdist.com/littlewizardtips.cfm
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

I think if you're serious about metal detection, spend $150 on a commercial grade scanner such as one made by Garret. I bought a lumber wizard and found it was very sensitive to calibrate and erratic in operation. It had difficulty finding any metal that was more than 1/2" deep in the wood. I returned it to the seller.
Bob
Hi Bob, I went to the Garrett site... a number of models given. Which did you buy? TIA, Tom

commercial
I too looked at these. Metal detectors over $1000 are too rich for my blood. I'm looking for something under $100 that does a reasonable job. The Wizard Detector 13704 is close to what I had in mind. Anyone find this useful, easy to use, and a good value? I believe this is the one Norm Abrams has on the NYW website.
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:19:44 -0400, "Thomas H. Bunetta"

Ebay has some of the wands (2 models) $99 and $180 (rounded) from Garrett... Still wondering which he has <G> Tom

<snip>