Melamine - How hard on blades?

I've got a quick project (yeah, right) in mind that would involve cutting some melamine shelving to length, and possibly ripping them down to width (although I'm hoping to avoid that). I hear Melamine is tough on blades. I'd like to try to quantify that. If I make a half-dozen cuts, will I ruin a blade in the process? Is there something I could buy that's not too expensive that would do a good job?
On 5/10/2012 3:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Carbide blade; specific to purpose will be the best bet for minimal chipping and joy.
W/ carbide you'll not notice anything at all on a blade in so few cuts (unless they're miles in length :) ); a HSS blade may show a little.
"Hard on blades" is relative...sawing anything is hard on a blade; I'd truthfully think the MDF and similar are probably as bad as the thin melamine coating is; for one thing there's so much more of it even if the glues aren't quite as hard in a Rockwell sense.

You won't notice any change with a few shelves. It is really only a thin layer and cuts easily. There are blades made just for that though if you need top quality results and are willing to buy a new blade.
Laminate flooring though, can kill a blade fast. Real fast. Plan on sending it out for sharpening if you do a jobs. I use Ridge Carbide for that service.
On 5/10/2012 3:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I'd like to try to quantify that. If I make a half-dozen

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

A thin kerf, coated blade, such as a Freud Diablo, works just fine. I tape all laminate cuts on both sides and set blade height just above the insert (carbide tooth) height. Even a new 40T HF blade works fine for awhile.
The glue in MDF and OSB seems to be the dulling agent in cutting, rather than the melamine, although I haven't cut a shipload of it.
Try a http://tinyurl.com/77knf8m or http://tinyurl.com/6n76v5o . I've been sold on Freuds since buying a little 7.25" Diablo for my circ saw. It has outsawn and outlasted my old HF blades by 8x (so far) at only twice the cost of the cheaper blades, an excellent value. The D1244X is only $34 for my miter saw, so that's the next one I buy. Then probably a D1060X for my portable table saw, as I need them.
(If someone wishes to give me half a dozen Forrest blades, I'd happily accept them, BTW.)
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem
Greg Guarino wrote:

No
No
--