Maximun safe RPM

I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM is for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical forces must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?

A 3" raised panel bit should be run at about 12,000 RPM typically the slowest speed on a variable speed router. Preferably an electronic variable speed so that it maintains the same speed under a load.
For future reference as suggested by Jesada
Up to 1" diameter, 24,000 rpm 1.25 to 2", 18,000 rpm 2.25 to 2.5", 16,000 rpm 3" to 3.5", 12,000 rpm

This is about right http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html
R. Pierce Butler wrote: > I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up > the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM is > for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical forces > must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big > bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does > anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?
I have a Freud 1" rounding over bit which is 2-1/2" OD.
Info supplied with bit.
Max RPM Specs:
2-1/4" = 16,000 3-1/2" = 12,000
Lew
Absolutely NOT safe to run 3+ inch diameter router bits at full speed.
Suggested maximum cutting speeds from one manufacturer: to 1" - 24,000 RPM to 2" - 18,000 RPM to 2.5" - 16,000 RPM to 3.5" - 12,000 RPM
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

I can tell already that my pc 2 hp router isn't going to make the grade for that job. Got to get that 3.5 hp Milwaukee and see how that works.