master carpenter in South Georgia

I talked to a friend the other day.
Completed a new house near Augusta. Purchased a mantel for his fire place made from salvage pine cut before the civil war but discovered bugs coming out of it after it was installed. He is now looking for a replacement.
Unfortunately, I'm located half way across the country and I really don't have the tools to do the job. He needs the help from someone that can help him select mill and install a new mantel to match the rest of the room which I have not seen (probably lots of pine).
Any suggestions?

Couldn't he kill the bugs?
Thu, Aug 9, 2007, 4:08am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (Toller) doth query: Couldn't he kill the bugs?
I'd suggest a large rubber mallet, so it won't leave hammer dings.
Or, I suppose he could call Terminex.
I guess these were large critters.
He does like the old bullet that was exposed when the wood was milled but being a bit of a perfectionist he wants it replaced
J T wrote:

Thu, Aug 9, 2007, 7:30am (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (williamkossack) doth sayeth: I guess these were large critters. He does like the old bullet that was exposed when the wood was milled but being a bit of a perfectionist he wants it replaced
In that case a .38 special, with wadcuttes, should work just fine.
"Perfectionist" is not the word I would have used.