Maple Lamps

Video:

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top . I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lam p interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledg er. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blow ing apart the base. Ideas?

Reply to
brian

It looks like the interior is large enough to get your hand in so perhaps either "figure 8" plates

or blocks in grooves in the rails and screwed into the top would work... similar to attaching a table top.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there anymore.

Reply to
brian

and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there anymore.

But you only really need a solution for the top. The bottom can use a ledger and screw as you suggested.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:41:13 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote :

op. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my l amp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the le dger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion bl owing apart the base. Ideas?

Video link seems broken

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

te:

top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Sorry. My site is down temporarily. See below:

brian

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

any time you see "=3D" in a URL, replace it with "=".

Scott Lurndal

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)

...waiting for someone to suggest leaving a hand inside to install the screws... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Put eyescrews on the inside of the top and bottom. Run a nice tight bungee cord between them. Watch your fingers! Problem solved. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Could the top be held down in some way by the lamp shaft itself? They make lots of different permutations of that hardware.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Over sized pilot holes and pocket hole screws. Been there done that. Over sized holes to allow for wood movement.

Reply to
Leon

Never mind, I was just thinking the bottom. Use a long hollow lamp rod to run the wiring through and use the nuts to hold both ends on.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah I agree with you, Its the right way to make it.

Reply to
Apolonia