Maple Lamps

Video: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?videoy
I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top . I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lam p interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledg er. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blow ing apart the base. Ideas?
wrote in message

It looks like the interior is large enough to get your hand in so perhaps either "figure 8" plates http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/figure8tabletopfastenerspk12.aspx or blocks in grooves in the rails and screwed into the top would work... similar to attaching a table top.
John
On Friday, March 29, 2013 12:04:19 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there anymore.
On 3/29/2013 1:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

ledger and screw as you suggested.
wrote in message

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)
...waiting for someone to suggest leaving a hand inside to install the screws... ;~)

bungee cord between them. Watch your fingers! Problem solved. :)
On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:41:13 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote :

amp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the le dger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion bl owing apart the base. Ideas?
Video link seems broken
On Friday, March 29, 2013 1:32:40 PM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Sorry. My site is down temporarily. See below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCGGDmFLHI

any time you see "=" in a URL, replace it with "=".
On 3/29/2013 11:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

make lots of different permutations of that hardware.
On 3/29/2013 10:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Over sized pilot holes and pocket hole screws. Been there done that. Over sized holes to allow for wood movement.
On 3/29/2013 7:01 PM, Leon wrote:

Never mind, I was just thinking the bottom. Use a long hollow lamp rod to run the wiring through and use the nuts to hold both ends on.
'Leon[_7_ Wrote: > ;3038325']On 3/29/2013 7:01 PM, Leon wrote:

Yeah I agree with you, Its the right way to make it.
--
Apolonia