Man that japanese chisel is sharp.

Page 1 of 2

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from Misugi designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is still very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure ache. Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, Steve Knight

Keep that up, and you'll look like me. (The wife has recently taken to calling me Frankenstein) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, Steve Knight

Yow! Hope that gets to feeling better soon.

Steve, I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill. If I send you a band aid, will you autograph it so I can start a collection?
:-)
Lowell Holmes wrote:

If he pushed a chisel into his wrist, he's lucky that he wasn't hurt worse. Sounds like a bandaid may not be enough. Even a dull chisel is sharp and you can make a nice slice before you can react.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

if you want me to use it first you need to send one of those jumbo ones (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Lowell Holmes wrote:

No value in that. He must have a million of them!
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

on 4/8/2005 11:56 AM Mortimer Schnerd, RN said the following:

Yeah! C'mon back when you have a Underhill fingertip in a jar of formalin. THAT will be a limited edition item<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I know *I'd* be impressed.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

A Wendy's chili joke here would be in really poor taste, wouldn't it?
Thought so.

Ouch! That was close to a nice-size vein as well. Getter better soon!

I was freaking because of that. it bled like crazy then just stopped.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Probably some sawdust/wood fibres made their way to the wound, coagulating and plugging the hole....<G>.. that bubinga is good for that...
Ouch! I hope you heal fast. Dave

Hey Steve.. Would you buy the other less often used Japan woodworkers chisels again, would you save for the Misugi's one at a time?
Alan

I love the white steel chisels. they must hold an edge twice as long. but the lower end Japanese chisels from Japan woodworker are fine. they just don't hold an edge as long as the high end chisels. but they are far better then most chisels out there. I am not talking the cheapest they sell but the white or blue steel lower priced ones.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:25:18 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:

Yah. I just got one Japan Woodworker branded chisel to see what the fuss was about. Fit and finish were about the same as any other chisel in that price range. My JW chisel is comparable to my FatMaxes, but better than my Blue chips. Took about the same amount of time to tune it up to useablility. The "hollow" is poorly ground, not tapped out (in?). To be fair, it's the 1/8" size; maybe the tiny ones are built differently from the wider sizes.
With my whoppingly huge sample size of 1, I'd say that the JW brand isn't a good choice. For only a little more, one can get the ones Steve mentioned in his post.
Shure is purty, tho. ;)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

was talking about.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:59:43 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:

Right. Me too. Mine is item C. You were referring to item A?
To Mr. Knight and anyone else, how do these hold up to tropicals? IIRC, most traditional Japanese woodwork is softwood, maybe some oak now and then (Odate's 'Spirit' book).
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

right a or b are the better ones. I just sharpen them to a 30 degree bevel and they are fine.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes